Legal Advice RI Vehicle Ebay Purchase

Fire Pig

Established Member
Legal Advice RI/CT Vehicle Ebay Purchase

Ok, so I purchased a Mustang off Ebay, from a seller located in Rhode Island.
Ford : Mustang : eBay Motors (item 280488588422 end time Apr-09-10 06:32:56 PDT)

I purchased it using Paypal, the car arrived here yesterday.

Car is nice everything works as advertised. Its a super clean and restored GT Im really hoping it isnt to good to be true..or in this case legit.

Problem is the seller has yet to send me any paperwork for the car.

Iv'e been emailing and calling and emailing him about the paperwork being mailed since mid April when I purchased the vehicle.
Had great communication with the buyer with shipping and everything else up until now.

Then I do some Ebay research and see the seller had 1 neutral feedback,
the buyer said he never mentioned to tell her that Rhode Island vehicles 10 years or older don't have titles.

Ok that's fine and dandy, but I'm really getting impatient because the guy hasn't return my calls nor reply to emails.
Either way he needs to send me a Bill of Sale or whatever the process is for selling a car out of RI.

I been waiting on paperwork for 2 weeks now.
I really wanna keep the car, but I refuse to be ripped off, since I can't do anything with the vehicle without any paperwork.

What should I do?

Paypal/Ebay dispute?
I received the vehicle in the condition as advertised but I haven't received any paperwork that comes with it.
The car is sitting in my garage untouched.

Or give the seller more time and keep trying to contact him?

Im trying to give the seller benefit of the doubt before I leave him some horrible feedback on Ebay Motors or even worst take legal action against him for the price of the car and the shipping cost.

BTW Im in Florida.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Make up a bill of sale and sign his name. There are no titles for cars in RI over 10 years old as you stated.

Fire Pig

Established Member
Make up a bill of sale and sign his name. There are no titles for cars in RI over 10 years old as you stated.

Who's going to notarize it with neither him not being present nor having a copy of his drivers license..which they usually ask for with out of state purchases?
Also still need proof of ownership.

Also according to the car fax the vehicle was last registered in PUTNAM, CT on 03/18/2009 so does the RI no title law even apply to this vehicle?

Last edited:

Fire Pig

Established Member
And the plot thickens, I becoming quite suspicious now of the all of a sudden no contact from this seller so I email the buyer of his Monte Carlo he had a previous transaction on Ebay with and this is what I get.

From a previous buyer.....

"This guy is pretty much full of it, he eventually sunt me a registration that didn't belong to him and a bill of sell, I had to eventually contact Rhode Island and get a letter stating that whoever's name that was on the bill of sell was the previous owner, alot of hastle, for a while my husband and I could not reach him, until we start to threaten him, I hope this helps and I hope everything works out for yo, but he needs to send you a copy of
registration and a bill of sell."

I apologize, I don't have the address that I sunt the money to, but this is the address that was on the paperwork that he sunt to me *edit*. If I find the paperwork from the post office I will give you that address.

- arletha6088

*removed by moderator - personal information deleted*

Last edited:

Fire Pig

Established Member
Well whatta ya know I call the guy leave him some legal threats and he calls right back.

He told me he Fed Ex the paper work along with an extra set of keys, but I wasn't available for pick up, so they sent it back to his secretary.
He apologized over and over to me.
Quite funny because I was at home everyday within that first week and no Fed Ex had come by.

I told him he has until Thursday to get that paperwork and the extra set of keys to me and that title better damn sure have him as the owner of the vehicle stated on it or else we are gonna have problems.

Im not changing my perception nor will I back off until I see the legit paperwork. Says hell send me the tracking number ASAP.

My part was done by being an honest buyer....now he needs to be the honest seller.

Last edited:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
i live 20 mins from that location.. i could go break his legs for you ??

Fire Pig

Established Member

Awww that would be swell Tifosi2003GT!

Lol, I don't wish any harm to the guy I just wanna get my legit paperwork, register and title the car and get on with my life.:burnout:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I will never understand why people don't do the investigative work BEFORE they make a purchase.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
It does sound a shakey to me now that I see his response. If the car was never reg'd in RI than there is still a title somewhere. You need one in CT for all vehicles.

Fire Pig

Established Member
I will never understand why people don't do the investigative work BEFORE they make a purchase.

Thanks that's the greatest advice Ive got all day!:rolleyes:
You were very helpful sir.:nonono:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Please do NOT make posts advising people to commit criminal acts.

Please do NOT make posts advising people to commit criminal acts, nor acts of physical violence.

It is easier to be proactive than to be reactive.

Fire Pig

Established Member
The owner says it actually has a CT title, so disregard the RI thing.
He says its his car and his name is certainly on the title.
I should be receiving the paperwork tomorrow via USPS Express.

Fire Pig

Established Member
Owner sent the title and paperwork.

DMV said the Bill of Sale and original title even though not in his name was sufficient as long as the owner on the title had signed it over.

Everything concerning the car itself checks out great, the seller gave me every receipt and piece of paperwork for the vehicle.

He seems like a ok guy from talking things over about the delay and lack of communication, but the fact that I had to threaten him to get this outta him pissed me off.

What would've happened if I didn't get ugly?
Would I still be waiting on him to contact me back or get my paperwork?
The fact it came down to this to get what I needed outta him makes me wanna neg rep him on Ebay Buyer Feedback big time.

Should I?

Last edited:

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
At the minimum neutral. His end was not upheld 100%. I see no reason why he should get 100%, especially with the shifty communication, or lack there of

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Please do NOT make posts advising people to commit criminal acts.

Please do NOT make posts advising people to commit criminal acts, nor acts of physical violence.

It is easier to be proactive than to be reactive.

Wicked Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread