LEO in Florida, what is your take on 316.XXX street racing law being found unconstitu

50_Dave

Established Member
unconstitutional.

This is in no way an attempt to badger LEO, but to get a flip side opinion on the ruling.

http://www.facdl.org/MembersOnly/MotionsBank/State v Wells.pdf

Reported by: Jamie Holmes

Photographed by: Christina Hendricks

What gives them the right? To chew up the streets, racing at speeds in excess of a hundred miles an hour, threatening themselves and anyone else on the road?

"They have no right,," says PBSO Lt. Mike Murray. "That's why we're out here and want to put those people in jail."

The job has gotten a little tougher. Law enforcement has lost a valuable tool in its war on wheels.

The statute used to punish drag racers has been found unconstitutional by the Fourth District Court of Appeals.

The ruling involved a Broward teen who was driving 130-miles in a 65-mile an hour zone.

The judges ruled officers couldn't determine who was drag racing, and who was just passing another car that was also speeding.

"You could have two people driving down the turnpike next to each other at the same rate of speed, and based on the way the statute is written, this is what the court said, that they both could be charged with drag racing," says Elizabeth Parker with the State Attorney's office.

But when does common sense come into this, asks law enforcement?

The statute had been a valuable tool that had helped lock up at least 70-people for drag racing in Palm Beach County in the last year.

It also gave cops and prosecutors a heavy hand against those doing a lot more than just driving down the turnpike.

"If you're convicted under this drag racing statute, you face what?" asks Holmes.

"Up to a year in jail and an automatic license suspension, if convicted, which is more of a harsh sentence than a first DUI offender," says Parker.

Without the drag racing statute, prosecutors will have to rely on other charges like reckless driving.

With that though, it doesn't really matter whether you're speeding for work, or you're speed racing, the punishment is the same.

"I think what happens by taking this out it's saying the government, the courts are saying, 'It's not really such a big deal. Yeah, drag racing is dangerous and all that, but it's not any worse than you speeding down the highway.,'" says Murray.

Original Post

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788907

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The was declared such because it was declared vague and ambiguous, thus not constitutional. The cure is a simple rewrite. The court did not say that the premise was unconstitutional. Plus there are many other laws that racers can be written under.

50_Dave

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The was declared such because it was declared vague and ambiguous, thus not constitutional. The cure is a simple rewrite. The court did not say that the premise was unconstitutional. Plus there are many other laws that racers can be written under.

The what?

The law?

I am interested in this because I have seen about 5 people goto jail on racing charges when they had not committed such acts (Right off the top of my head, two were for chirping the tires at a stop light in front of a car hang out....and i do mean chirp, and another for spinning their tires even though it was raining outside) Im hoping this law does get changed or -rewrited-.

You are right, there are many other laws that racers can be written under, but it seems that there are many other laws non racers can be written under, yet, they still get the 316.191 because of the grey area of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread