LEO Only - Driving a car without a hood on it.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Someone just posted a question on my local forum asking if they could drive their car from home to a location a few hours away to pick up their hood without having a hood on the car at all. I searched and couldn't find any laws specifically addressing this in Illinois but I am also far from versed on the topic.

I know a few of you guys have worked in the area and might know this one... does Iowa or Illinois consider it illegal to drive without a hood? Does this fall under a vehicle safety code? (Like a cracked windshield would?)

Thanks for any information you may have!

rubber duck

Established Member
I'll dig into my code book but I can't think of anything off the top of my head for cruising hoodless. If you would get dinged for it it would probably be written under "operation of an unsafe motor vehicle" which is kind of a catch all.

RCMPSVT

Established Member
If our traffic section pulled you over youd prob get a violation for missing body panel but thats in canada not sure if its the same in the US

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Thanks guys... I figured it would be a common law and one of you guys would know about it or just fall under something regarding the cars mechanical condition.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread