LEO! Stopped by a Trooper, have some Q's..

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
Can someone clarify this for me.. :shrug:

This afternoon on my way home from work I was pulled over on the GSP by a trooper. Everything was in order, seat belt on I wasn't speeding etc..

The reason he gave me for pulling me over, was the following.

I was traveling to slow, in the slow lane. Mind you, I was doing the speed limit, maybe a little below, the weather for those not near me, it was snowing/raining at the time with little to no traffic (maybe 20-30 cars within my sight). He stated that me going so slow in a car that can obviously go faster then I was, was suspicious. When I told him I was just putting along due to the weather an the road being wet/cold he informed me he was going to write me a ticket for impeeding (sp?) traffic and unsafe vehicle since I couldn't maintain the posted speed.

At that point (and not until that point!!!) I admit I gave a little bit of attitude by responding "Are you serious? For being safe, your going to write me a ticket?" At that point he flipped the F out screaming at me for questioning his authority and how dare I question someone in his position and I don't know the law like he does and so on.

He asked me to exit the vehicle and consent to a search since I was "acting" suspicious in my behavior, which I did since my car is literally, empty. There's very little if anything in it.

After he had his fun opening my glove box and dumping my shit out all over my seats (there is nothing in my center box) he told me to get back in my car and he would be right with me.

After like 15min he approached the car and tossed my lic/reg/ins on my seat and informed me he was giving me a verbal warning for unsafe driving and also informed me that my roll bar & fire extinguisher are illegal under the "vehicle modification laws" of NJ. (The fire ext. for not being labeled as in the vehicle) and of all things told me to "slow it down and drive safely"

What...the...****!?

Can anyone #1 back up what he stopped me for? Was I unsafe? Was he maybe just bored and looking for something to do and felt like busting balls?

#2 Is my rollbar illegal?

#3 I've heard you have to have a label stating you have a Fire ext. is this true? Where do I get one or what are the requirements for it so I can have one made..

#4 Should I maybe complain to higher ups about this officer? Is it worth the hassle?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Can anyone #1 back up what he stopped me for? Was I unsafe? Was he maybe just bored and looking for something to do and felt like busting balls?

#2 Is my rollbar illegal?

#3 I've heard you have to have a label stating you have a Fire ext. is this true? Where do I get one or what are the requirements for it so I can have one made..

#4 Should I maybe complain to higher ups about this officer? Is it worth the hassle?

Since I was a L.E.O. in NJ I can provide some insight.

Troopers typical don't make traffic stops to bust balls. That would be expect in the "Burg." Since he was able to articulate reasonable suspicion for the stop he could stop you.

Depending on the roll bar and how it is installed it can be illegal, especially if it has front bars that cross over the side of the front seats.

The Fire Extinguisher must be labeled and there must be indication of its location.

You can complain to his higher ups, that is up to you as only you can determine if it is worth the hassle.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Thank you for your response. It's only a 4pt with no bars fwd of the main hoop. I'll have a label made for the Fire Ext...

However,

You must've got your ass beat a lot in the burg.. All you do is cry about it every chance you get.. I lived there almost all my life and didn't cry about it as much as you have on here..

Nope, never had any fight in the Burg. I just understand the nature of the Burg and its incestuous police department. The same department that lost the use of firearms because they failed to qualify for over a year. The same department that had to be overseen by the FBI because of their illicit practices. The same department run for years by two families.

10-43 This 03

Established Member
Hello, I'm LEO in NC. I would say if the information you have given is completely true and unbias then I would say no RS given the weather conditions. I would probably say yes to a complaint if he acted in the way you said he did but before you do this make sure you are giving facts. Not saying your lieing, just a lot people with complaints tend to embelish what really happened because they are mad or are upset that they were pulled over. If he did act in the manner you say he did that bothers me. Reason being is it's officers with that attitude that make good officers look like "power hungry Nazis". I consider myself to be a very good officer and make no mistake when business needs to be handled it gets handled but I conduct my business in a professinal manner. Do what you feel you need to do.

Users who are viewing this thread