LEOs Only (CA Question)

reivaxtorres

im slow...i promise!
Established Member
23109.a - Speed Contest (2pts)
23103 - Reckless Driving (2pts)

Ok, in my younger, stupider days, I got both these tickets within a year of each other, and plead guilty to both (didn't feel the need to agrue either, I was caught doing what I wasn't supposed to be :bash:). I was under the impression that both these tickets carried 2 pts (yes, I got my license suspended by the DMV for 6 months due to point count, July 2005-Februay 2006) and both were to stay on my record for 7 years, not the usual 3 years. I tried calling AAA today to see if they can get me a decent rate (I know, :kaboom: but I like their service) and they told me if I were to wait until the end of the year it would be cheaper as 2 of those points would be gone, and in a year they would all be gone. I asked if he could make sure that they stayed for only 3 years and not 7, and he put me on hold to go double check. He came back saying that the only violations that remain on record for 7 years are those which are related to DUI or drug charges. I tried a quick search on the DMV website and didn't really get any useful info on the point term for these 2 violations. I remember reading on the CA DMV site that it carried the 2 pt count and 7yrs, but I cant seem to find it now.

Also, when does the DMV consider the start and end dates for the 7 (3) years, is it from the date the ticket was issued, or from the date I went to court and plead guilty? The AAA guy made it seem like it was from the date it was issued, as I received the speed contest ticket in October of 2004 and it will be 3 years this October (April 2005 for the reckless driving one).

Any info/links that you guys can provide will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
From DMV's website:

Points on The Driver Record

DMV keeps a public record of all your traffic convictions and accidents. Each occurrence stays on your record for 36 months or longer, depending on the type of conviction.

You may be considered a negligent operator when your driving record shows any one of the following “point count” totals regardless of your license class:

4 points in 12 months
6 points in 24 months
8 points in 36 months

Some examples of one point violations:

A traffic conviction.
An at-fault accident.
Examples of two point violations:

Reckless driving or hit-and-run driving
Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
Hit-and-run driving
Driving while suspended or revoked
If you get too many “points,” you will lose your driver license. A violation received in a commercial vehicle carries one and one-half times the point count normally assessed

reivaxtorres

im slow...i promise!
Established Member
mswaim, thanks for the info.

That section said that they stay on your record for 36 months (3 yrs) or longer, but does Reckless Driving and Speed Contest go under the category of "36 months" or "other", do you happen to know?

**I just re-read my original post and realized i wasn't too clear, my question wasn't in regards to what the point count should be for these two violations, it was supposed to ask how long they would stay on my record. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help

-Xavier

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
Another thing you should look into: The suspended DL time may not count towards the 36 months of the points showing on your license.

reivaxtorres

im slow...i promise!
Established Member
crap...forgot about that part. The guy at AAA didn't mention anything about that, even though I did mention that I had a suspended license for 6 months. LEOs, any insights on this?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I would be more concerned that "reckless driving" in almost every state is a misdemeanor, and your guilty plea means you have a criminal conviction on your record.

reivaxtorres

im slow...i promise!
Established Member
Yeah, I have the midemeanor on my record now, which isn't a good thing but it's what I get for being stupid. Trust me, I've learned from my mistakes and don't plan on getting anything else, the penalties and fees I had to pay were enough for me.

So no info on how long it stays on record? I figure AAA is a reliable and trustworthy source, but I just wanted to double check. The reason I'm not too worried about the misdemeanor is because there is pretty much nothing I can do about it, simply put I'm screwed. My employer knows about it and they didn't mind and went ahead and hired me, and I have applied for two other positions with two other companies and neither one seemed to put too much emphasis on it (though I declined their job offers for other reasons).

mswain, Adam, and jimljr145, thanks for the replies so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread