LEOs Only: Questions for becoming a LEO in PA

600RRgoal

Established Member
I have been interested in becoming a LEO for many years, and now I decided to go with that career path. I don't know exactly where to start, so I'll throw out a few questions I hope to find answers to:

1. What education/requirements do I need? I assume I'll need to go to a police academy. Does anybody know which academy is closest to West Chester, PA?
2. After graduating police academy, am I able to choose whether I want to be a township/local policeman or a State policeman?
3. What is the average starting salary? Does this depend on location? If so, I am in the West Chester, PA area.

Thanks! :coolman:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You must apply to a dept or agency. If that dept/agency hires you, you will go to the academy that supports them. If you want to work for the State Police you need to apply there. There is no universal application. The educational requirements differ among depts/agencies. Most require either some college or a military equivalent. The pay varies as well. But you can not expect to make more than $35K your first year, unless you qualify for a Fed. L.E.O. position.

Groovyash

Established Member
1. Educational requirements will vary dependant upon the department standards for which you apply anywhere from a high school diploma to a B.A. or above. In PA very few departments will sponsor candidates to go to the police academy, exceptions being made for large departments (i.e. Philly PD, Pittsburgh PD) Almost all officers pay to send themselves to the academy as most departments will not even consider hiring you without your Act 120 (PA certification to be a police officer) The larger departments will hire and sponsor you to go to their academy, but they are in the minority of employers in PA. You should visit MPOETC's website the accreditation authority in PA for details about the process and academy locations
2. As somewhat addressed in #1 yes, you would apply for a specific municipality you wished to work for who was hiring. As mentioned however PSP like some other's would send you to their own academy regardless of previous certification (PSP are actually not Act 120, they are their own process)
3. Again, dependant on area, Full time positions usually start from $30,000 to $40,000. Of course, the places that pay more are more competitive to be hired at. Also be advised almost ALL officers in smaller departments in PA start in part-time capacity usually at more than one department at the same time, for very little pay (i.e. $10-$14 an hour would be considered excellent part time pay) this is the sacrifice most make to get their foot in the door so to speak. Top rate pay again is dependant on the department, $45,000-$60,000 base is probably a statewide average with most officers picking up another ~$10,000 in overtime. There are a few departments that Top out closer to $80,000 but again, these are extremely competitive to be hired at.

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread