LEO's Only - Your opinion on Ryan Motes stop where his mother-in-law died

slider701

Established Member
Guys,

I would like to hear the opinion of LEO's on whether the officer that stopped and detained Ryan Motes in Dallas for running a red light on the way to the hospital for his wife and him to see his dying mother-in-law. This happened in Dallas and I'm sure most of you are aware of it, especially since there are posts on it in SD.

Here is the link to the in-car video:

Video On Demand: Latest News Video | WFAA.com

What is your opinion being a LEO? Was he justified in pulling him over and detaining him as long as he did? Did the stop warrant him pulling his weapon early in the stop? Did he cross the line after he found out that they were visiting a dying relative and still refused to let him go?

My opinion is the officer was completely justified in the stop and detaining them. I think he only crossed the line when he wouldn't let him go after a nurse and police officer from neighboring town (Plano - where the stopped finally occurred) urged him to let Motes go inside.

Your thoughts???

Please - LEO's only......if you want to comment on it and you are not a LEO post in SD.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Every profession has a few members who need to re-think their career choice and in the absence of self-reflection there exists internal measures for such situations.

With that said; I strongly believe the Oakland Police Department should organize at least two days of rioting for their membership. Looting, car burnings, fighting in the streets, pulling criminals from their jail cells and beating them senseless, etc.

Afterall, one shooting on a BART platform was the catalyst for similar behavior by the predominately black population since the shooting involved a white officer and a black victim (and truly a victim).

In contrast; a black man (and parolee) executes two white officers, flees then kills two additional white officers. This should indeed provide the justification for rioting in the streets.

Reality is - no civil rights leaders came forward to offer condolences, no calls for public calm (since they all know only one group seems to feel entitled to criminal reaction to such events) and no public outcry over this truly tragic event. Sadly, my OPD contacts tell me multiple witnesses were located who watched the suspect kill the two motor officers then flee to his sisters residence but not one of them spoke up.

If you truly wish to discuss police officer misconduct; put it ALL in perspective.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
^ I concur.
Just two weeks ago I stop a woman for 17 over and driving like a fool within the city limits. I ask if there is an emergency, she states her mother-in-law is on her death bed and she is enroute to see her one last time.
I let her go, but I am suspicious. So, I follow her because I see in the distance she doesn't turn toward the hospital. :dw:
Instead she turns into the Wal-mart parking lot!

Last edited:

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Every profession has a few members who need to re-think their career choice and in the absence of self-reflection there exists internal measures for such situations.

With that said; I strongly believe the Oakland Police Department should organize at least two days of rioting for their membership. Looting, car burnings, fighting in the streets, pulling criminals from their jail cells and beating them senseless, etc.

Afterall, one shooting on a BART platform was the catalyst for similar behavior by the predominately black population since the shooting involved a white officer and a black victim (and truly a victim).

In contrast; a black man (and parolee) executes two white officers, flees then kills two additional white officers. This should indeed provide the justification for rioting in the streets.

Reality is - no civil rights leaders came forward to offer condolences, no calls for public calm (since they all know only one group seems to feel entitled to criminal reaction to such events) and no public outcry over this truly tragic event. Sadly, my OPD contacts tell me multiple witnesses were located who watched the suspect kill the two motor officers then flee to his sisters residence but not one of them spoke up.

If you truly wish to discuss police officer misconduct; put it ALL in perspective.

This is one of the absolute best posts I have read in a very long time.:beer:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member

Totally on the point!! Thank you sir! Wow!!!

98Vobra

Established Member
A similar situation happened to me one evening around 12am. I was traveling along, on patrol, when a car pulls along side of me at a red electric signal with its hazards on. As I turn my head to look at the car, as it pulls to the stoplight it only slows down and continues, running the red light.

At this point the hospital is about 1/2 a mile away on this same road so I follow the vehicle with my lights only on to see if it is going to the hospital. Sure as shit it pulls into the ER and several young black males exit the vehicle. The subject start to yell at me that the rear seat passenger had just been shot in the back and needed assistance. No mind you they ran several more lights in route and did not stop for me on the way. I calmly assisted them and no ticket was issued. (It turned out the 16 year old died on the table and that he was just involved in a gang shooting where he got hit by return fire, but thats another story).

Point is I was able to adjust to the need at the time and did not let my "I'm the police you should have stopped" attitude get in the way. I know in this situation I would not have issued a ticket to anyone and maybe even walked the people in and assisted them if need be. This kind of makes me sick that police officers act this way, once the situation was made safe and I understood the reason for the violation I would have sent them all on their way in a matter of seconds. 15min is way out of line.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
There are 1000,s of more stories of leo following someone to the hospital for a medical emergency.Although the end result is much different,of course as mentioned,that type is never brought to light

Users who are viewing this thread