LEO's or Anyone with Points Knowledge

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Okay, this is kind of a long bla, bla, bla type of story.

Last May (Finals week for me in college) my buddy asked me to pick him up at three in the morning from a party because it was raining out and crappy. The kid has helped me out before so I said why not. I had my Dad's at the time DD (2009 Mazda Cx-9 GT) at school with me so I could bring all my crap home with me.

I go to pick my buddy up, and the house he is at is the first house on the left at the start of a one way road. (To give you a sort of verbal visual, the road is four lanes, two one way two the opposite. At one of the traffic lights after the intersection the road becomes a one way, four lanes going one way. The "party house" is fifty feet on the left after the road becomes a one way.)

I pick him up and because it is three A.M I decided screw it instead of going a mile down and having to get back on the highway making the ride an extra fifteen minutes long, I would go down the wrong side of the road fifty feet until I got back to the normal traffic pattern. (I know this was stupid, I was half asleep, and annoyed. Please refrain from the you idiot comments as I am well aware trust me.)

Anyway, of course there is a LEO sitting at the intersection (just my luck). He pulls me over and on top of the fact that I pulled that genius move, I realized I forgot my wallet in my dorm room. I was very polite and courteous, as was he. I admitted full guilt gave him my license number and he looked up my information. He wrote me a ticket for "Traveling Down a One Way Road". I asked him if this was a points violation he said it was. He said because, I was polite and honest with him. If I wanted to plead not guilty when the court date came, he would change the violation so I would not get points. he was also nice enough to tell me I would not need an attorney as he would be sure to help me out. No question this LEO was a nice guy (I still believe that to this day).

Here is where it gets complicated (sorry I know its long). I received an email from the officer that ticketed me the next day that says this:

This e-mail has been sent to you from Officer **** ********** through the **** ******* Messaging Service. Please direct any response to *************@cityof************.org.

James,
I was mistaken when I informed you that the One Way violation was a points ticket. This is one of the few moving violations that is "no points". Therefore, you can just plead guilty (if you so choose) and there will be no points and the fine would be the same as if I had ammended it.
Thank you and sorry for the mis-information.

After reading this, I had a sigh of relief and obviously just plead guilty and paid the fine. Well two months later as I am trying to get Track Insurance for a racing event I am participating in the agent I am dealing with, pulls up my five year driving manifest and tells me I cannot be insured because of this violation (+ an accident). I tell him that it is a no points violation and it should not matter. He tells me I have two points on my license because of it.

Now I am like WTF this guy told me it was no points, but now it is... What gives? So LEO's or anyone with knowledge of this, does NJ consider this a points violation and because of this I am screwed because they read it as one even though it was out of state. Was this always a points violation in PA? If so he either lied or accidentally misinformed me. Either way should I contact him?

I really need some help on this as my driving record is screwed and now my insurance rates have gotten even higher. Any help would really be appreciated. I am just wondering if I am justified in anything. Also, I still have the email with his digital signature. I am glad I kept it as I was always slightly suspicious this might come back to haunt me.Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Simply call the clerk of the court for that jurisdiction and read them the violation and ask them if points are assigned.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Simply call the clerk of the court for that jurisdiction and read them the violation and ask them if points are assigned.

I will definitely do this, now if I find out it is indeed a points violation, is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Users who are viewing this thread