LEO's speeding/running lights/etc with no lights/sirens??

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightballrj

Established Member
What is the law on this? I always thought an emergency vehicle had to have lights/sirens on to break traffic laws. This is just a question I have had for a long time. The running red lights is when they will be going the speed limit flip on lights/sirens to get through a light and flip them off 1/4 mile later with no noticeable increase in speed or urgency(not in pursuit or on a call).

Thanks!!

SVT04

Established Member
Good question. I too have wondered this as I have personally witnessed a patrol car flip the lights on to get through 3 red lights in a row only to discover the officer was on his way to the coffee - donut shop. :lol:

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
Cops going over the speed limit on highways actually makes sense. If they went the speed limit, everyone would slow down to below the speed limit and back everything up. By them doing 75 in a 55 everyone can keep their speed up without passing the coppers.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
I think this has been discussed many times here in the past. I think the conclusion is that you don't know what is taking place at that particular time since you're not privy to that information, such as, the officer responding to a call that requires a black out, etc.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Well, you can look at it another way. Say you go home to find your front door open and you see a shadow of someone inside the bedroom. You call the cops. I'm sure they would go lights out in order to not scare him away in order that they might catch him, but since they are lights out, they can only go the speed limit so as not to break any laws. I'm sure the cop would be scaled upon arrival for taking too long, right? They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

eightballrj

Established Member
I could understand going light out if they were entering the neighborhood or even close to the neighborhood. But, on the highway... goin 95-100 passing me with no lights on. Looks like abuse of power to me.

I have what seemed to be a whole unit going to the Trooper's convention (saw 15 plus cars with about a 30 second split between each) going 90-100 mph easy... no lights.

SVT04

Established Member
DanTheCobraMan said:
I think this has been discussed many times here in the past. I think the conclusion is that you don't know what is taking place at that particular time since you're not privy to that information, such as, the officer responding to a call that requires a black out, etc.

As I posted above ....it was very easy to figure out what the officer I observed was doing....

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
DanTheCobraMan said:

Exactly!!

FordSVTFan

Established Member
SVT04 said:
As I posted above ....it was very easy to figure out what the officer I observed was doing....

It is easy for you because you have never received a priority call and told to run Code III and then once you pass a certain point the call is cancelled. That is a reasonable explanation and it happens often.

SVT04

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
It is easy for you because you have never received a priority call and told to run Code III and then once you pass a certain point the call is cancelled. That is a reasonable explanation and it happens often.

And that would be giving him the benefit of the doubt...which I am not willing to do. I am willing to put money on it that he was just in a hurry to get to the coffee shop....

FordSVTFan

Established Member
SVT04 said:
And that would be giving him the benefit of the doubt...which I am not willing to do. I am willing to put money on it that he was just in a hurry to get to the coffee shop....

I am basing such on my personal experience, what is your basis?

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Why would an LEO responding to a robbery in progress not use his lights/siren on the way to the scene? The robber isn't going to hear/see him coming when he's on the highway - why not just run silent as he approached the location. :shrug:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Steeda30 said:
Why would an LEO responding to a robbery in progress not use his lights/siren on the way to the scene? The robber isn't going to hear/see him coming when he's on the highway - why not just run silent as he approached the location. :shrug:

This has been asked and answered numerous times, but here it is again. Often times dispatch will tell you not to run code III for any one of numerous reasons. Additionally, the hypothetical posed was not in regard to a robbery in progress.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Bah, well they obviously forgot to consult me about this operating procedure. :D

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I will place a note in NCIC to contact you in regard to operating procedure, just forward me your name, DL and SSN :D

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Red Devil said:
Cops going over the speed limit on highways actually makes sense. If they went the speed limit, everyone would slow down to below the speed limit and back everything up. By them doing 75 in a 55 everyone can keep their speed up without passing the coppers.

I pass cops all the time when they are doing the speed limit or under.:shrug:

What is with people always trying to catch cops doing something wrong?

SVT04

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I am basing such on my personal experience, what is your basis?

My basis is a knowledge of human nature and knowing that everyone even police officers are subject to stretching or breaking the rules. I have personally known a couple of police force members who had absolutely no business being a member of any public service. Their conduct and attitude was deplorable.

I can tell you without any doubt that the officer in the car I observed was abusing his position by hitting the lights and going through intersections against the red for one purpose....to get to the donut shop.

2004mustanggt

Banned
ford_racer said:
I pass cops all the time when they are doing the speed limit or under.:shrug:

What is with people always trying to catch cops doing something wrong?

because they are always trying to catch us doing something wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread