Lessons Learned

racer_zero

klmore said:
While I agree with some of what you said, there is a better way to convey your point without insulting people. :nonono:

I have spent a great deal of money with the shop in question and had a very good experience. I actually build cars for other people, but choose to send my own car off so I could focus on what pays my bills. With that said I have inspected my car and had it inspected by others for any errors made by the said vendor and have found nothing but quality work.

Keith's opinion was very important in my decision in sending my car to this shop. I have never spoken to Keith, but his posts on MM.net were positive and I figured his job gave him a certain amount of credibility in my book. If Keith had problems with this vendor and did not speak up for all to hear than he did himself and others a terrible disservice.

I think this thing has gotten way out of control, but we can still be civil to one another while we argue about it.

Yes, I agree and apologize for the remarks I made. It is just soo very frustrating to see the vendor constantly used as a pinata.

jamesD

Thunderpigeon
Established Member
wow.. amazing how some people come into a forum, just to stir crap..

now me.. .long time browser, infrequent poster.. i have my own forum i chill out at..

where WE have had enough of experiences with unsaid vendor.. but the experience sounds VERY familiar

if so, i leave you with this. DIASS/DIAFD

**the remarks in this post are of my OWN and SVTPerformance cannot be held liable or responsible. If you wish to comment, dial 1-800-EatSh*t**

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
klmore said:
.....but we can still be civil to one another while we argue about it.

yes, everyone needs to remain civil otherwise threads will end up getting closed.

if people come here soley to cause problems, then their membership will be terminated...its as simple as that :nono:

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
racer_zero said:
2. You went on record not more than 5 months ago saying how great everything was and what a good job this vendor did, how much you loved the car and the job that was done. Then (or now) after the vendor refuses to be blackmailed/extorted by you, you post this.

In order to get the car working again the Chaplain had to spend ANOTHER $4K in order to attend the Marauder event. Is it also true the shop found a few other problems too like the rear gears had been improperly installed and were all chewed up?

Is it also true that the Chaplain tried to recoup the money he had already paid to the contractor for a built transmission that was not in car, and also because the stock tranee failed he asked for some compensation for that as well as it might not have happened if he had a built one in the first place. That sounds like compensation to me, extortion to you, but we both have our view points.

Last edited:

BigMerc

No one's buddy
Established Member
Me Too

And while we're at it I'm calling Tmac out, meet me November 13th 1418 hrs at the "Silver secrets" bar on I-95, I'll be in an orange wig with big shoes and a flower that squirts, also a little sailor hat

You wear a yellow "fro" wig, polka dot coat and a red nose, and we'll settle this.......all fighting to commence after "Savannah" does her set.

"two clowns enter....one clown leave"

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BigMerc said:
And while we're at it I'm calling Tmac out, meet me November 13th 1418 hrs at the "Silver secrets" bar on I-95, I'll be in an orange wig with big shoes and a flower that squirts, also a little sailor hat

You wear a yellow "fro" wig, polka dot coat and a red nose, and we'll settle this.......all fighting to commence after "Savannah" does her set.

I have to admit Big Merc, you got me laughing here, pretty good :D But let's not forget he is a Procharger guy, and we run in pairs :beer:

David Morton

Established Member
Well, all this is good information for me. Glad I'm an ASE Master Tech and can do most of my mods myself. Not to say I believe any of these accusations but why take the chance?

I did have trouble with a vendor at MM.net once, paid him a bunch of money for parts and he was too busy holding a campaign sign and waving at traffic at the corner of Main & Central to do the drop ship order with his supplier. Six weeks later I called him on it and he did get me on a conference call with his supplier and we concluded our business. He offered me a 10% discount on my next purchase. I haven't taken him up on it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Still I didn't see any advantage in getting on the site and complaining. If it isn't gonna change things, why waste the time? Do I really think I can get on a white horse and do combat with the "forces of evil" to save my brothers from being taken in by an unscrupulous businessman? I doubt it. If I do, somethings wrong with me!

I've learned a lot in my 47 years here in America and one axiom always applies, if I keep my side of the street clean and stay off your side of the street I'm always walking on a clean sidewalk. Maybe now you guys can see it's time to get off that guys sidewalk. You're the ones suffering from high blood pressure and acid reflux. He's probably oblivious to all of this talk.

Resentment is an acid that corrodes it own container. Get rid of it. Ask God to take it away.

DJP

Established Member
BigMerc said:

Ok Big Merc. Now that me and the BIG DOG came to an understanding about a misunderstanding, I get your point. Pretty good.

I will publically apologize to Jim. I was out of line with the petty, lame personal remarks. Not called for. I have posted my full experience with the contractor and will refrain from posting more about him. I would encourage other people to post though, either good or bad.

See you guys on November 12. First rounds on me :beer:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I'm glad to see things settle down a bit here...I may just clean up this thread because I feel it has value and the off-topics posts demean it

overall, what I see is a man who is offering a warning to others who leave their vehicle in someone's hands.....relating scenarios that many of us would never even think of protecting ourselves against

one of the things that Internet forums can be good at is protecting their membership from scammers of all sorts...there is power in numbers and this site has been involved in quite a few incidents where justice was served

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
JB said:
I'm glad to see things settle down a bit here...I may just clean up this thread because I feel it has value and the off-topics posts demean it

overall, what I see is a man who is offering a warning to others who leave their vehicle in someone's hands.....relating scenarios that many of us would never even think of protecting ourselves against

one of the things that Internet forums can be good at is protecting their membership from scammers of all sorts...there is power in numbers and this site has been involved in quite a few incidents where justice was served
I agree wholeheartedly.BTW, I think that for you to clean up this thread as you've implied is a great idea. Especially in light of the fact that a certain person who only has a post # in the single digits obviously came here for the MM board to make trouble. So far I've avoided responding to him since him and his posts just aren't worth it anyway.

Last edited:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
Good to see this end on a high note. Yet another rant ended with out major intervention.

Lesson Learned?

bigdogjim

Simlply Complicated
Established Member
See it works!

DJP said:
Ok Big Merc. Now that me and the BIG DOG came to an understanding about a misunderstanding, I get your point. Pretty good.

I will publically apologize to Jim. I was out of line with the petty, lame personal remarks. Not called for. I have posted my full experience with the contractor and will refrain from posting more about him. I would encourage other people to post though, either good or bad.

See you guys on November 12. First rounds on me :beer:

And I David apologize for not being a little more clear:)

I hope you make it on Nov 12 to Hooters!

That's what it's all about folks. Get out from behind the keyboard and take a ride!

SergntMac

Established Member
Go get a fresh beer, this is a long read...

BillyGman said:
I agree wholeheartedly, and I will refrain from speculating as to why other administrators/moderators of some other car boards do NOT feel the same way, but instead go out of their way to guard their vendors to the death no matter what. BTW, I think that for you to clean up this thread as you've implied is a great idea. Especially in light of the fact that a certain person who only has a post # in the single digits obviously came here for the MM board to make trouble. So far I've avoided responding to him since him and his posts just aren't worth it anyway.
Good points, Billy, and I agree with you. Do your remarks to the "single digit" poster include the opening post? Does your decision to disregard one member's words for specific reasons apply to posts from other members who meets similar secifications? No flames meant here, I'm just asking because of what others have posted. BTW, this is my "1st" post too, but it's not going to read any different than my years of posting at the MM.Net.

Briefly, I have my doubts about who authored the opening post, and I am rather surprised that y'all have taken it so seriously and shown it so much creditability, considering it's shortcomings. Y'all seem pretty sure who wrote it, and that what has been posted is factual, truthful, and presented in an honest light. Y'all give up a lot of credit here, credit y'all would not give up at the MM.Net, I am sure. Please stand by, I'll come back to this in a moment. I need to set the tone of my intent first.

I snipped this from another thread, it's from an administrator of this board, and it's relative to this discussion.
SID297 said:
I tend to like to keep my forums very lightly moderated. There're basically here to prevent vendor bashing and to slay trolls. And unlike other forums if you're displease with a decision a mod makes you can discuss it with them privately (through pm's). They are always willing to listen, just be respectful.
Well, imagine that...This board has a policy identical to the policy at our MM.Net! A policy that does not allow any vendor bashing, or, trouble from trolls. Logan has said many times, "you got a problem with a vendor, or, his product, deal with it privately" and I fully agree.

Very often, it's the membership at large who pulls the trigger on a troll, alerting moderators to an unfavorable post/thread. Yeah, we call the cops at the MM.Net, remember that. However, while this strict policy seems protective of bad, or, "special" vendors, it serves to lead the complaining consumer back to resolving his disappointment by other means, rather than just pitch a bit*h about it. Means that later resolve the issue, and very often recover/restore their financial investment. It's a good policy to have when running a message board. Like turning your guns over to the sheriff at the city limits, it keeps things peaceful in Dodge. It's the best advice for a disappointed consumer too, because it leads to resolution, and/or financial recovery.

If "Ted from Tulsa" is selling a junk product, crying about that on the web serves as a warning to others, yes. But, only for newer members and future customers. It doesn't do squat for you, or, the victims before you. To disallow the bashing should force you to find another resolution, or, "quityerbitchn'".

Keep in mind that consumers are not ideal customers either. Vendors get ripped too, and taking the next legal/proper step in resolving your complaint against a vendor tends to separate the whiners and crybabies from the folks with real problems.

With other issues in other worlds, playing by the rules of engagement that apply to us all in the real world, has led to class action lawsuits, and court approved judgements with full restitution.

You won't get satisfaction if you don't seek it, and bashing product, or, vendors in forums like this, is simply masturbation. Logan doesn't like it, Sid doesn't like it, I don't like it, and neither should any of y'all.

If you don't like something you bought from a vendor, or, it didn't arrive as you expected/got promised, or, didn't work as you expected/got promised, there are other means at your disposal to fix this. Maybe too many means, too many options, too many decisions for you to make before deciding your next step?

But...Bashing the product, or, the vendor on the Internet is not one of those options, and I cannot imagine the circumstances that would make bashing permissible. Okay, give me a minute on this, there may be one "maybe", I'll come back to this too...

I'm pleased with this boards policy. It's clearly stated that this is not an open forum for bashing of any sort.

This thread, started by a member as his number 1 post, comes very close to violating this board's policy. However, absent specific details such as names, dates, locations, and so on, it's rather lames too. It's also dubious, crafted by someone who knows just enough to start the ball rolling, and not come back. IMHO, looks like a lot of lucky guesses based on popular rumors that may have leaked out from an untrustworthy moderator somewhere, but so what too. Sh*t happens, so do sh*t people.

For some reason, some of y'all are absolutely positive you know the author.

Is this because you know the facts behind this thinly veiled threat?, or, is it because there's enough real meat in this post to feed a handful of Internet vultures? Excuse me one minute...

Also lifted from that other thread...
MENACE said:
Not mad...proud, for bring out the truth!
Finding the truth in things has been my life's mission. For 29 years now, I've put people in jail by finding truth. I put two on Death Row. I've kept countless innocent people out of jail, and more off Death Row as well. I know what "knowing the truth" means, and what it means to me.

Though I did not always produce evidence others agreed with, I did produce evidence. Hard copy, things you can "see" for yourself, "touch", "feel", and "know" they exist. How you view it, well, it's your eyes. But, you got something to look at, something tangible. Not just a rumor.

The "truth" can be elusive at times, a matter of perspective. I've had two witnesses testify against each other with opposite stories, and both telling the truth. I try to be as certain and sure in my proof, and my truth, as anyone living in Florida who says "I smell Hurricane a comin' ".
DJP said:
I have posted my full experience with the contractor and will refrain from posting more about him. I would encourage other people to post though, either good or bad.
Thanks for the invite, here's my truth.

I bought my first MM in June of '02 and as an early buyer, I paid premium sticker, plus a state luxury tax for 35K plus automobiles. This was a 41K purchase.

I ghosted at the MM.Net from day one, and got a screen name after Nov. '02. When I hit 3000 miles, I got a promise of support from my dealer, and I started buying mods. By then, there was a "contractor" visiting the MM.Net on a regular basis. He came around offering "gears", "UD pulleys", "chip", "stat", "Denso plugs". I don't remember the order in which thngs spilled out, but I do remember that his main point, was that we can mod our Marauders, and how. That we had things we could do to improve performance. It wasn't just about him selling us stuff.

I called him dozens of times, never ordered anything, just asked stupid questions, and got straightforward answers. Yes...A few times he got short with me, cut me off. A few times we argued, hung up on each other.

I was conflicted. I owned a brand new car on the market, and it was expensive. It pleased me very much, but also disappointed me. I loved it, and hated it. My Marauder, what to do...

It was then that I tried his shoes for size, and realized he's running a business, not a school. I wasn't going to get a degree in Marauder by calling him. Twice, I had very serious questions about stuff, novice that I was at the time, and I sent him checks to pay for his time tutoring me on specifics. He took the first two checks, sent the other two back. His message attached said "trust me, do this".

I called him, told him I can't trust him, it's the Internet. Said I was a cop, people lie to me everyday, yet we made a deal.

I would buy (without discount) every mod he offers, install it, and do an honest report "from the field". "Beta testing". If dyno numbers are inolved, I would dyno before and after. If "seat-of-the-pants" stuff was involved, I would take it to a race track, or, do what I can do to verify results. Either way, I'll tell the truth. Whether right or wrong, I'll post my results. This "contractor" said "go for it, get busy". I did.

I started with 4:10 gears, stat, Densos and single stage chip. My order was at my door UPS in 24 hours, and in my car 24 hours after that. I did responsible before and after dynos on each mod, and proved this "contractor" right on all counts. I. Me. [email protected] named this initial series of mods our Stage 1. I called back and asked, LOL..."what's in Stage II?" He said "what's stage II?"

By then, "UD pulleys." Yep they work. "PI Stallion torque converter". Yep again, and Holy sh*t! Next? "Driveshaft...Maybe tail shaft lube, call me" and this became Stage II. It went on from there, and through many many mods brought to us by this "contractor".

Not once has this "contractor" failed me. Not once has he duped me. Not one has his promise of performance, or, safety improvements not reached my Marauder. Not only my first MM, but my second MM, where his advice continues to help me build my Marauder despite it's origins in a competitor's garage. I dream how I want it to be, this contractor helps me get there. No problems with my VISA card either, charges in, charges out, never a scrap over the numbers. Never.

Yes, we still argue. Yes, we still call each other names, and still hang up on each other. Y'all need to deal with this, K? It's not proper, nor good business, but it happens. Nonetheless, it does not deserve any web bashing. If you can't work it out, call another vendor. The best lesson for any vendor, is no more business, right?

I said I would come back to two points. Okay, I will.

1) I don't believe the opening post here is genuine. I believe so because I spoke with your "victim" myself this past Thursday, October 20, 2005. It was early, before noon, he and his brother were sitting down to breakfast.

We spoke for about an hour, and discussed a lot of things about him, his Marauder, the "contractor" and his negotiations with him.

He clearly stated to me that all of his concerns were presented to the "contractor", and all had been resolved. He clearly stated to me that he had heard rumors of his complaints, and promised me that he would not, and never intended to, post anything about this on the Internet. He said it all of it so well, I am convinced he told med the truth.

2) Your "victim" has resolved his issues with your "contractor", and I mean all of them, and as early as 10/4/2005. Check the dates here, eh?

As you parse out what insults you, whether it be overall mileage, visits to the race track, a blown engine fixed without any expense to the owner, or other stuff like "I've met you, you're a great guy and I totally respect your opinion", it's possibly all bogus, just like complaints about running red lights...Ah Geeze...

Note...I have been told that all issues have been resolved byyour victim. And, he has told me of his 4000 dollar refund, 1050 dollars of which are in his pocket as I type this now.

Knowing this, I cannot resist challenging this opening post, or, it's author.

There's just too much sh*t in this game.

Sorry, y'all for the long post, but it just spills out of me when I see too much crap called honest, and too much BS called truth.

Y'all aren't really this stupid, are you?

bigslim

Established Member
Are you trying to say that the author of the #1 post and the person you spoke to concerning this is not the same person? I am trying to get a feel on what you saying here Mac. It seems like you took a very long road to get to what you were trying to say. I do understand one thing you said. I will say that if I ever argued with any vendor and they hung up on me I would not patronize their business. That is poor customer relations. I am not the kind of person to get put off by some business man and then go have BBQ with them. It is true that many of don't know the real story here. I would say that we not comment on any of this until the real two parties that are affected by this come forward and tell both sides. I do however find it funny that you have never posted here before but now come to voice your opinion. That in itself is funny. There must be some truth to this story or you would not have come here out of the blue to save his name.

bigdogjim

Simlply Complicated
Established Member
No where!

Slim this will go not where because you will beleive what you want.

Remember I was with the man for 2 full days runnig all around the city getting things done!

I have know what transpired, who said what and to whom.

Just let it go!

bigslim

Established Member
bigdogjim said:
Slim this will go not where because you will beleive what you want.

Remember I was with the man for 2 full days runnig all around the city getting things done!

I have know what transpired, who said what and to whom.

Just let it go!
That is my case and point.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
SergntMac said:
Good points, Billy, and I agree with you. Do your remarks to the "single digit" poster include the opening post? Does your decision to disregard one member's words for specific reasons apply to posts from other members who meets similar secifications? ?
One poster was sharing some lessons learned from a very bad experience where a vendor was the culprit. The other poster was just looking to censor people like he does on another board by picking verbal fights with them, and then when they respond negatively to him, he then reports their posts to the moderators in an attempt to get threads locked which he doesn't like.

So that other poster was trying to pick a fight via the internet, which was likely due to his BEER muscles flexing on his keyboard which often happens with him on the MM board.And then later on, or the next day when he sobers up for atleast a few hours, he comes back and apologizes as if it won't happen again. Problem is, it does happen again, and again and again. It's a pattern with him. It's really a pity to see how a serious problem with alcoholism that's undoubteldy decades old, destroys a person's mind. And the person is the only one who doesn't see it, or he looks at himself as the victim, when the truth is, that it's a self-induced problem, and everyone else around him are the victims, and are often put on the receiving end of his paranoid delusions, and censoring tactics through his manipulation of moderators via his reporting of "bad" posts from others who simply react to his provocations. Sound familiar yet?

Last edited:

MikesMerc

Established Member
I have no idea whether this particular thread, about this particular "contractor" has any validity at all. To take a single post, or a small series of posts over time, and rely on that to judge a vendor is a mistake. Everyone has good experiences, and bad experiences, with ALL vendors.

That said, Billy has made a very good point about "patterns." When a particular vendor is constantly, continually, and consistently criticized on the open internet forums by a continuous stream of different people, then there is definitely something to stop and think about. Where there is smoke there is fire.

On another note, the internet is a WONDERFUL place to discuss good and bad experiences with vendors. Posting about bad experiences is not vendor bashing. There is a difference....maybe too subtle for some to understand I suppose. Forum posting about vendor expereinces is nothing more than an internet community of public opinion. The thing to remember is that ALL vendors are subject to it. There can be good and bad experience posts about all vendors. In the end, it will be the actions of the vendors themselves that dictate whether any long term patterns emerge.

I agree with JB (a mod here on SVT):

JB said:

This is exactly what I am trying to say.

Not all vendors are afraid of internet criticism....why is that? Talk to a few of them and they will tell you that they let their business practices speak for themselves. They understand that if you have a bunch of happy customers, and few unhappy ones, the deadly pattern of constant criticism doesn't happen. Sure, there are always a few unhappy folks making a few stinging posts, but the long term on going pattern of criticism of a particular vendor never materializes unless there is a long string of unhappy customers.

Its that simple. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Its up to the readers to judge for themselves whether they see a pattern that raises concern.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread