Let's see those tire trailers!

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I'm thinking about installing a hitch on my mustang and buying a tire trailer to bring a set of track wheels to the track. Post up pics of your setup and please let me know info about your hitch/trailer setup. Thanks!!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Here's the one I used for 5 years. Sold it last year to a guy with a BMW and he used it all last year.

A bit about it: Its a Harbor Freight trailer with a Delta box. I bought the trailer itself from a guy that autocrossed a WRX, and he kept his narrower tires in the open frame standing upright. With this trailer, I can't do that with 275 tires. That's why I came up with this setup for the wheels.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0006-1.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Thanks for the pics Greg! Do you happen to have pics of the hitch on your car! I have a Saleen rear bumper and don't want to cut it up so I want to see if there are hitch options that will work for my rear bumper. Thanks!

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
subscribing.

I want to know if there's a way to have a totally hidden hitch. I recently found an old thread on here that showed how someone did it but I have know way of knowing if it was sufficient to handle the loads.

I'm looking at the Norther Tool trailer since it came with the 12" tires instead of the tiny 8"s on the Harbor Freight

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the pics Greg! Do you happen to have pics of the hitch on your car! I have a Saleen rear bumper and don't want to cut it up so I want to see if there are hitch options that will work for my rear bumper. Thanks!

I highly doubt that there is a option with the Saleen cover.. It wraps all the way under to the gas tank.. You will have to cut it up I can almost guarantee it

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea it kinda sucks lol!! You can throw a 98 Cobra bumper on there if ya wanted.. But why do that :poke:

Sirl

Established Member
Here's my old setup.
I was very happy with everything. HB 4 x 8 "Folding" trailer.
Very compact when folded and stored up against the wall. only about a 2 x 5 foot, footprint. 8 inch tires worked fine, no issues on long trips. Just keep the bearings greased from time to time. I also used Diamond Plate for the surface. Came out real nice.

With a stock GT rear bumper, the U-haul hitch was not visible at all.

IMG_0970_zps1d524a24.jpg

SSPX1237.jpg

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Here's some installed photos of my Putnum hitch. I found a great trailer place that ordered a couple hitches for Cobras, and sold me the one that fit best while sending back the other. The earlier Cobras don't have the rear fascia that later ones (or Saleens) have.

BTW, my hitch is still sitting in the garage, and is free to anyone that wants to pay shipping. :beer:

DSCF0004-2.jpg

DSCF0006-3.jpg

DSCF0007-2.jpg

DSCF0015-2.jpg

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
subscribing.

I want to know if there's a way to have a totally hidden hitch. I recently found an old thread on here that showed how someone did it but I have know way of knowing if it was sufficient to handle the loads.

I'm looking at the Norther Tool trailer since it came with the 12" tires instead of the tiny 8"s on the Harbor Freight

There is (or was) a HF like mine with 12" wheels. I had always worried about mine cruising to the track, but never had a problem. Lucky.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Here's my old setup.
I was very happy with everything. HB 4 x 8 "Folding" trailer.
Very compact when folded and stored up against the wall. only about a 2 x 5 foot, footprint. 8 inch tires worked fine, no issues on long trips. Just keep the bearings greased from time to time. I also used Diamond Plate for the surface. Came out real nice.

With a stock GT rear bumper, the U-haul hitch was not visible at all.

IMG_0970_zps1d524a24.jpg

SSPX1237.jpg

Nice pit bike Mitch!!!

Im thinking about getting a new bicycle to ride around at the track. Its amazing how far a person has to walk on a race weekend. Some of it neccesary and some of it walking over to other racers pits just to BS.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I used to carry everything inside my '99 cobra including four 17x9 rims with 275 v710s. It was a tight squeeze.

Heres my tire trailer now and my shoe string budget race car hauler that currently needs a new engine.

firstdayofschool001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread