Let's talk about sub enclosures

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I have been tossing around the idea of going double din and putting a couple of subs in the 2012. The only thing is that I don't want to have a box. Have one in my 1992 and with the way I drive it gets tossed around and the wires rip out of the box. I like clean installations. I was thinking of getting the rear seat delete with the 5.0 emblem from MMR, cut two holes, and mounting the subs on either side of the 5.0 emblem so they are pointing at the back of the driver and passenger's head. I would also be hiding the amp behind the seat delete in the trunk. Has anyone seen something like this done? For those of you with the rear seat delete, how strong is the board that they use? Any input positive or negative is welcome. I have no kids and I hate riding passengers also so getting rid of the rear seat will not be an issue.

Cuco5.0

Established Member
From what i have read, the material that comes in the MMR kit is definitely not strong enough to mount a heavy sub to it. I guess depends how big you are going. Also, remember that you're going to want to enlcose the rear part of the sub.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You could purchase just the enclosure itself from the shaker 1000 system. This does limit you to two 10" subs, instead of anything different, but it bolts in place on the passenger side of the trunk. It still allows you enough space to get most things in the trunk, and it's secure enough even for racing activities.

92hatchlx

Established Member
I guess it would be using the trunk as the sub box which would be quite a
large space. Would the subs not produce bass with that set up? I would think that they would work alright. Where can I get the shaker 1000 sub box?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I would go with the JL Audio stealthbox. It bolts in where the shaker box goes, is lighter, and freakin rocks. I did one in a customers Boss last week with the Kicker 500.1 amp, mounted the amp behind where the box goes. Very clean, hits pretty damn good, and is worth every penny.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Just checked the price on the site and that box is going for $700. Definitely not in my price range for a box. If it was cheaper I would definitely consider it. I really like the idea of what I was thinking though. Going for more of the custom look. I'm not going for a sound system that will knock buildings over. Just something that will satisfy my bass needs and looks good. Does anyone make a stronger rear seat delete that could support a couple of 10s or 12s?

55149d1226422268-subs-my-back-seats-rear-seat-delete-diy-thumb.jpg

4766390139_large.jpg

kingnut

Established Member
i dont know how much power you are going for. but a single 10" or 12" in the right box will put out alot of power. you could put the amp on the back side of the box and have the sub facing the trunk. it can be anchored down with some L brackets. it wouldnt move but would be easy to remove if you wanted to sell the car. also wouldnt weigh as much as 2 subs.

92hatchlx

Established Member
It's looking like a box is going to be the best route after doing some more research and seeing what you guys have to say. I just don't want anything ridiculously huge taking up trunk space. I wish that stealth box wasn't so expensive. Maybe it's time that I head over to best buy and start playing with some subs. Not really sure how much power I am going for. My last system was a 12" infinity, 300w RMS IIRC and it was alright. It was also in an F250 underneath my rear seats.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Have you thought about using the spare tire well since we don't have a space tire? You can get roughly 3 cubes sealed in there which is plenty enough space for a few different options. This is the route that I will be taking for mine. First I plan to test a pair of custom 8s I built but if I'm not satisfied I'm going to swap them for a sundown SA-15. I compete in audio year round with my truck (see my sig) and will be installing a sq system in the mustang. I'm a stickler for clean installs and I won't lose any trunk space. oh and don't purchase jl products unless you want to throw money away at over priced products.

92hatchlx

Established Member
I don't have the tools or facilities to build a box. I live on a ship lol. It would have to be something easy to modify or something I could order. We do have an auto shop on base and I use the lifts and tools to work on my cars, but no wood shop. Thanks for the tip on JL. What would you suggest as far as a set up? I'm a rook when it comes to sound systems.

Last edited:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I don't have the tools or facilities to build a box. I live on a ship lol. It would have to be something easy to modify or something I could order. We do have an auto shop on base and I use the lifts and tools to work on my cars, but no wood shop. Thanks for the tip on JL. What would you suggest as far as a set up? I'm a rook when it comes to sound systems.

Where are you located? I may be able to find someone in your area that can help out. Also its rare I recommend this but if there is an audio shop near by they would be able to do it as well. I could possibly build you a kit using my car so all you would have to do is install it. It would include a box and new false floor. Now this could end up being costly to ship so it would be up to you.

As for a system what exactly do you want? What's your budget? And is this a full system or just sub stage?

Users who are viewing this thread