lets talk about the excal 2

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
please share your experiences, do's and donts, things someone should know BEFORE buying one. would you recommend something else for a terminator? i have a excal 1 but personally i think its useless.
how tuneable is it really? if one was to have a wideband and the knowledge could said person completely tune there own car, or do you really need the pro-racer package as well.
what about buying used? if they claim its unmarried (and lets assume it is) can you reprogram for your car easily?

id like to hear some real world tuning experience the MACA has had. will i end up going to the tuner/dyno anyways? if so maybe ill just use the excal1 and spend that money elsewhere? :shrug:
thanks for any info guys :beer:

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
I dont have a terminator but i love my SCT Xcal 2. Just yesterday my tuner sent me an updated file in a e mail (For E10), i downloaded the file into my handheld, and uploaded the tune into the car. I have felt a noticable increase on top end pull and very noticable throttle response. I also noticed a difference in normal around town drivability. The rpms dont drop as fast between shift.

Also the OBD2 read feature rocks. my buddy had a check engine light on and i was able to pull the code...and then erase the code.

It also has a data logging feature. I dont believe the xcal 1 has that feature.

A used one is just as good as a new one as long it has the stock tune is back in it so it can be be reprogrammed...or as long as it is not VIN locked. Then its usless.

-Mike

SPRAYED DAILY

MACA
Established Member
used is fine, whats more important than the auctual unit is who you have tune it. dont do it yourself if you already dont know how to, there is alot more than just a/f that you'd have to setup. If you did do it yourself the PRP should be used. But just call a local tuner, pay $100 and get some bad ass tunes.

TRBO VNM

you can't just tune with the xcal2. you need the PRP in order to tune yourself. no way around that. you can get the xcal2 and your tuner can setup the file and give you access to certain parameters that you can tweak yourself, such as adding and removing fuel and timing based on rpm ranges.

you can buy used, but usually you end up spending more money buying it used and then paying a tuner. most tuners offer package deals.

snakeyz 03

Ruck-n-Run
Established Member
I just used mine for the first time on 5/17/06 and the code to your car is on the passengerside door . Well I put in that code QUD2 and put in all the data of my modes I did into the labtop to download into the car and the car ran for 2 minutes then cut off I was asking some other people and I heard different things about using the QUD2 code vs the AMZ2 code in the car with modes that are done and using the Xcal2 . Then again it also could be my sensor on the fuel rail you know the one that cost $72.00 and will not let your car run.But as for now I find nothing so far exciting about the Xcal2. I used to have a preditor and that was ok but I was told it would be easier to tune the car with a Xcal so thats what I got to try out. So there you go . O yeah by the way help anyone .............. Lin,SCT,God ..........

TRBO VNM

snakeyz 03 said:
I just used mine for the first time on 5/17/06 and the code to your car is on the passengerside door . Well I put in that code QUD2 and put in all the data of my modes I did into the labtop to download into the car and the car ran for 2 minutes then cut off I was asking some other people and I heard different things about using the QUD2 code vs the AMZ2 code in the car with modes that are done and using the Xcal2 . Then again it also could be my sensor on the fuel rail you know the one that cost $72.00 and will not let your car run.But as for now I find nothing so far exciting about the Xcal2. I used to have a preditor and that was ok but I was told it would be easier to tune the car with a Xcal so thats what I got to try out. So there you go . O yeah by the way help anyone .............. Lin,SCT,God ..........

you can't log a lot of parameters with just the flasher at once. there isn't a lot of memory and it gets used up fast. It is mainly for a few parameters and for a one gear, maybe 2 gear blast. Or for sitting at idle and logging a few parameters that way. the best way to log is use a laptop.

call steve at tousley ford(FORDSVTPARTS on the boards). he can get you the FRPS for about 45 bucks shipped.

the xcal2 is a great utility when used correctly. the problem is the lack of training and instruction.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
you can't just tune with the xcal2. you need the PRP in order to tune yourself. no way around that. you can get the xcal2 and your tuner can setup the file and give you access to certain parameters that you can tweak yourself, such as adding and removing fuel and timing based on rpm ranges.

you can buy used, but usually you end up spending more money buying it used and then paying a tuner. most tuners offer package deals.

whats the tuner do to allow you to tweak files? can anyone just ask? -or do you have to be "in good" with the tuner?
how much can you do exactly when the tuner does unlock it for you?
i was hoping to not need the PRP too. i was looking forward to tuning the car myself but :rolleyes: .
i never got to on the 93. although it was nice too drive in get a chip burned and bang an extra 100hp. and drive home

anyways: so really the only difference between the excal 1 & 2 is the 2 has a display screen instead of LED's, small amounts of data logging, and you can scan OBDII codes. :shrug:
oh i guess some tweaking ability but then again tuners like Rick (amazon) will send you new tunes for free anyways so why bother tweak it yourself ...right?
-when you email for a new tune do you datalog and send that info to the tuner for him to make the changes to? i guess that where the excal 2 would shine over the 1

i should note that i do already have a wideband.
thanks for the info guys, your putting it all into perspective :beer:

snakeyz 03

Ruck-n-Run
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
you can't log a lot of parameters with just the flasher at once. there isn't a lot of memory and it gets used up fast. It is mainly for a few parameters and for a one gear, maybe 2 gear blast. Or for sitting at idle and logging a few parameters that way. the best way to log is use a laptop.

call steve at tousley ford(FORDSVTPARTS on the boards). he can get you the FRPS for about 45 bucks shipped.

the xcal2 is a great utility when used correctly. the problem is the lack of training and instruction.
Huh sooooooooo go buy a tune pretty much .

TRBO VNM

93cobra#3326 said:
whats the tuner do to allow you to tweak files? can anyone just ask? -or do you have to be "in good" with the tuner?
how much can you do exactly when the tuner does unlock it for you?
i was hoping to not need the PRP too. i was looking forward to tuning the car myself but :rolleyes: .
i never got to on the 93. although it was nice too drive in get a chip burned and bang an extra 100hp. and drive home

anyways: so really the only difference between the excal 1 & 2 is the 2 has a display screen instead of LED's, small amounts of data logging, and you can scan OBDII codes. :shrug:
oh i guess some tweaking ability but then again tuners like Rick (amazon) will send you new tunes for free anyways so why bother tweak it yourself ...right?
-when you email for a new tune do you datalog and send that info to the tuner for him to make the changes to? i guess that where the excal 2 would shine over the 1

i should note that i do already have a wideband.
thanks for the info guys, your putting it all into perspective :beer:

bryan, keep this thread on top. I will respond sunday or monday. I am beat and have been in the garage all night. have 3hrs of sleep and then gotta go meet everyone.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
bryan, keep this thread on top. I will respond sunday or monday. I am beat and have been in the garage all night. have 3hrs of sleep and then gotta go meet everyone.

lol i hear yea man. i am one beat down fool. although ive gotten more sleep than you it sounds like. i cant ask another question right now cause it will hurt too much to "fire up" the brain again.
all i can say is :beer:

:thumbsup:
-bryan

Users who are viewing this thread