Lets talk down force

David Hester

Established Member
^ nice!
No liners on the A/Sedan car, lots of dents. Lots of spider marks on the ProChallenge cars fiberglass fenders. I boxed in the radiator of the A/Sedan car. Ripped off the radiator airdam at Roebling. Noticed overheating right away. Put it back on several races later-DOH!, problem solved. Other trick would be tray from front bumper back to radiator support. That is what I did on ProChallenge car. It works for cooling and downforce, as I had trouble supporting it enough to keep it from falling- actually think it ws being sucked down. >.< hehheh hehheh I said sucked down.
Moving on.
It was well supported in the rear, but would rip out rivets/machine screws along the front lip.
I agree, fender vents and radiator vents in the 1st 3rd of the hood work for cooling AND extracting air from under the hood. Get too far back and you run into air blocked off the windshield causing high pressure area and you stall the air from under the hood. Why venting high cowl hoods on road race car is a bad idea. Nascar uses their sealed cowl vent to feed carb from high pressure area in front of windshield.

Last edited:

azsvtcobra

Established Member
I get tired of removing the fender liners for service and would like to remove them permanently also. Mine is a track only car so I don't care so much about dents. My real concern is the wiring harness under both fenders on a 97 cobra. I don't see a simple way to move these harnesses out of the fender area.
Don't people worry about rocks hitting the wiring and especially the connectors?

DocB

Established Member
Good question regarding the wiring harness and other wires.
I've also been wanting to remove the fender liners, but am wary about unprotected wires.

Greensix

Established Member
I have had my fender liners out for 2-3 years with no ill effects on the wiring. This is a track only car so it really doesn't see that much weather and road debris.

azsvtcobra

Established Member
Greensix,You left the wiring harness as is after removing liners? No protective cover then?
I live in the southwest and we don't have much rain but we do have rocks everywhere, including the track.

Ruslow

Established Member
Back to the splitters I made one for my R back several years ago.and it worked great.I have pics of the car at speed 150= and it looks like it is sitting still.the main reason is for directing airflow where you want it.The splitter does NOT provide down for persay.It keeps air from going under the vehicle to prevent a high psi under the car which provides lift.In the form of racing[but not a race] silverstate and BBORR.Wings and spoilers slow you down because they take HP because they are acting like a dam.Splitters and diffussers direct the air to flow better.Remember a car is shaped like a wing,which is a bad thing at high speeds.Here are a few pics of my splitter i made.STan

DCFC0140.JPG

bigbend09033.jpg

There are spats at the wheel openings and also the air is blocked off under the center of the facia,so it as to go around.

Last edited:

Greensix

Established Member
Greensix,You left the wiring harness as is after removing liners? No protective cover then?
I live in the southwest and we don't have much rain but we do have rocks everywhere, including the track.

Correct. Stock wiring harness with no liners, no protection. If you are really paranoid by it you can make small sheet metal shields or wrap it in a light color tape to make it easy to see if debris is really an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread