Let's Talk Mattress's!

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Alright! It's been a couple of months since I have a good night's sleep. I own an i-comfort mattress currently that is 5 years old and is like sleeping in a hole that is causing lower back pain.

Currently, I am looking at a tempurpedic mattress and a sleep number. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadracer247

Established Member
I’d suggest you take advantage of the extended period most manufacturers offer for in-home trials. Everyone knows that Tempur-pedic are rated the highest. That doesn’t mean you or I will like it though. So just buy one that seems comfortable instore. Then six months from now, or whenever your trial period is over, you’ll know if you’ve been getting a better nights sleep or not. It’s just too subjective of a topic for anyone to really be able to help much...

BRNG ITT

Established Member
I had an iComfort Savant for 5 years that sunk in and gave me back problems as well.

Switched to the Purple 3 almost a month ago and loving it so far. Body feels much more loose when I wake up.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
We have a king sized coil mattress that was supposed to be soft, but it's hard as a flipping rock. Put a 3" memory foam on top and it's perfect. Bought both from Sam's Club.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a Sleep Number last night. We will see how it goes.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I bought a sleep number 15 years ago. Air chamber popped they replaced it. Air pump remote stopped they replaced. Chamber and remote and pump stopped again, they refused to fix. This was all within 6 years on their bed said to last 20 years. It was going to take 300/400 to fix so I looked elsewhere.

Ended up with Costco foam mattress. Reviews have their foam starting to break down after 5/6 years. Tempurpedic reviews show their foam breaks down every 8/9 years. The big problem is their mattress is 4-6 times more expensive. One could go through twice as many beds and still save thousands.

Paid $400 for Costco 14inch queen mattress. Love it.

Also heard good things about Casper and molecule mattresses.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If that sleep number goes tits up, Tempurpedic offers a 25 year warranty on their mattress. Ive got 20 years of coverage left lol.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If that sleep number goes tits up, Tempurpedic offers a 25 year warranty on their mattress. Ive got 20 years of coverage left lol.

I had a tempurpedic that I purchased in 07 and had until 2013. It was like a heat sink and after about 4 years, it was like sleeping in a hole.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I had a tempurpedic that I purchased in 07 and had until 2013. It was like a heat sink and after about 4 years, it was like sleeping in a hole.

Heat is a valid concern. Purchased my tempurpedic Classic King in 2013. Ive got a sealer mattress cover and a pad on it with high thread count sheets on it. I had to use a thinner comforter on top of it, but Ive never had a hot sleep in it once I fixed the comforter issue.

I know some of the newer units come with cooling gel built into the top layer, but I have no complaints about my Classic.

As for the sinking, Ive used the Tempurpedic "box" spring since i bought it and cant say that I have a problem. If it ever does, Ill find out how good their warranty is lol.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm on an Ikea memory foam mattress with an ikea memory foam topper as I type this. It's helped me manage pain better than any mattress I've ever had. I used to have some expensive mattresses on our house boat that were amazing too but this ikea combo is just as comfortable. If you get memory foam definitely spring for the cooling jell versions

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I dropped some cash on this sleep number. I didnt buy anything but the base and mattress, so if I don't like it after 30 days, it goes back.

I've read sleep number can be a bit pushy to have you try other things with their bed if you try to return so I am prepared for that.

I have an Uncle who has broke his back twice that swears by them and a gal I work with just got her mom's hand me down and loves it. She said she has never slept so good.

We will see!

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Ended up with Costco foam mattress. Reviews have their foam starting to break down after 5/6 years. Tempurpedic reviews show their foam breaks down every 8/9 years. The big problem is their mattress is 4-6 times more expensive. One could go through twice as many beds and still save thousands.

Paid $400 for Costco 14inch queen mattress. Love it.

Also heard good things about Casper and molecule mattresses.

^ Same thing we did.

We tried a generic memory foam mattress about 8 years ago. At the time I assumed the more memory foam the better. So I opted for 5" of memory foam. Well it was hot AF. I realize sheets and the design underneath the foam effect heat too but IMO most of the heat was simply from having too much dense memory foam.

So then we spotted an off brand foam mattress at Costco. Knowing their return policy we decided to go for it. Best damn bed I've ever had and I have a sensitive back thanks to my long and lanky body frame. Well we decided to get more of the mattresses but just as our luck Costco quit selling them. So we found them on Amazon: www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-12-inch-Mattress-Warranty/dp/B01EAG9X84/

We bought 3 more total. 1 for each of my 2 kids and 1 for the spare room. Every guest I have had stay with me has commented on how great that bed is. 3 of my guests have actually asked where to get one and have gotten the exact same one. All 4 of our beds are now 4-5 years old and they haven't developed any type of memory in the foam. They rebound back up just like new.

You need a platform bed for a foam mattress. You can't just put in on box springs because it will ruin the bed over time. The location if the springs will dig into the bottom if the bed. You can lay down 1/2" plywood on top of your box springs to help distribute the weight evenly or build platform inserts like I did. This made a standard bed work. We didn't see any platform beds we liked. Most were too low for our liking. Platforms I built were just 2x6s as runners and 1/2" plywood. Can change depth of runners based on how deep your bed frame is.
Screenshot_20181224-103614~2.png
Screenshot_20181224-103607~2.png

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
I bought a Kingsdown in 2008. It started to sag about two years ago, which is about right for a decent spring/pillowtop mattress. But damn that thing was like sleeping on a cloud for the first few years. It's still insanely soft, but I find I sleep better on rock hard mattresses now for some reason. I did gain 60lbs since 2008 so maybe that has something to do with it.

My wife and I are looking into the Purple mattress (yes I read the other thread). Should be interesting. Gotta wait until other crap is taken care of first though- this is the "every breaks" year. Can't go a week without an appliance breaking.

hockeylover86

Established Member
Do some research on latex mattresses, I have one and I love it. Cheaper than the fake foam, and they don't break down/sag like the man made foam ones do. You can even customize the firmness of the layers as you want, and change them around over time.

Users who are viewing this thread