Let's try this again !! New Ram Air Pic

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
this is an interesting design. Is the airbox sealed other than the "ram-air" tube? If the ram-air tube accidentally became blocked or clogged somehow (road debree like a newspaper or plastic bag floats up from the road and covers the entrance to the ram air tube)... would the intake still be able to get air somehow?

It looks like a pretty good design.

:beer:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Does it have a screen like mine does?

fd9a5c71.jpg

mm49

Established Member
Yes, I believe there is an attaching end not shown in the Photo with a screen and also the front of the Box has an opening aligned behind the Headlamp. Remove the Headlamp at the track and Instant Ram air #2. Also the top is a Mesh sreen which allows some air flow

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
FlashSVT, I have to ask the same thing? Unless the filter is larger, it seems to me that the stock airbox would have better flow characteristics around the filter due to its smooth shape; the "box" shape would appear to create turbulance.

I could be mistaken and am open to comments.

mm49

Established Member
I currently have my Former Lightning 12" Filter Crammd in the stock air box space right now! It flowed 15# of boost on my L, but It is open and needs to be enclosed or relocated such as the "Cold AIr Kits" accomplish.

I installed a similar Ram AIr Box on my Lightning with a smaller surface area filter enclosed in a square container with several Cold air tubes feeding air. It ran slightly quicker times in the Heat and almost .2 quicker in the cooler air.

I am hoping for the same results with this setup. We shall see !! I really don't think the shape of the box or container matters. I am sure the UPR smooth flow tubes are better, but Under Boost condition the Suction that is being created by the Blower coming through the filter and so forth really does not care where the air is coming from as long as it is cool. Again it works very well on the Lightnings and some Trucks with a Similar setup are going 11s and this 03 Cobra setup is very similar even the same size Mass AIr.

I will post my results soon and give an honest assetment.

Thanks,

JLL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread