LFP H/E install question...

Power Trip

Established Member
I was putting my new LFP h/e in tonite. Everything was pretty straight forward. But i found that the coolant hoses dont quite reach. I can get the passenger side one on no problem, but the driver side one is about 2 inchs short. I can see that MAYBE i could force its way on then clamp it, but i really wouldnt trust it holding.

Anyone else run into this? Im gonna grab a new hose from autozone tomorrow and finish it up.

Power Trip

Established Member
Hey thanks for the reply. Well its about an inch to the tip of the metal pipe, then it needs another inch to overlap. Ill check it out again tomorrow and see if i can make it work.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
Hey, If you haven't "fixed" your problem already, I have the solution.

I just installed one of these a couple of weeks ago and YES, everyone is running into the same issue (I really think LFP should supply this part!!!!!)

Anyway, your stock tubing in there is 3/4 inch, so go to local NAPA store and get a 3/4 union connector. If you don't know what that is, it's a short piece (about 3 or so inches long) that has to "male" ends...you basically use it to connect two seperate hoses together.

Then, take your H/E off the car, put it on the ground, put the stock elbowed factory hose back on that drivers side you're having issues with. Then, take a hack saw and cut that hose in half. Where you want to cut it is about an inch or slighlty more AFTER the bend going AWAY from the H/E. (Hope that makes sense?).

Then, install your union connector onto the hose that's still attached to the H/E.

Then, install your H/E back into place as I know it's a bit of a bear to wrestle that Fu#@$# in place.

After it's installed, pop your hood up and reach down between your radiator and grill area to connect the piece of hose your just cut off to the line coming from above.

What you'll find is that stock drivers side hose is almost exactly short the distance just installing a union connector gives you...about an inch or so.

What ever you do...do not bend or pull or crimp your factory elbows too much as they'll stay that way and restrict flow...

Hope this helps!

Power Trip

Established Member
Hey thanks for info man! Glad to see im not the only one finding that elbow too short. Im gonna see if i can just get a new piece of rubber tubbing with a 90* bend from autozone and just cut it to fit. I did this when i swapped in my 418 into my old car and had 2 coolant hoses that were too short. If that doesnt work out ill grab the union conector your talking about.

Thanks again.

Sonic Snake

Established Member
Power Trip said:
Hey thanks for info man! Glad to see im not the only one finding that elbow too short. Im gonna see if i can just get a new piece of rubber tubbing with a 90* bend from autozone and just cut it to fit. I did this when i swapped in my 418 into my old car and had 2 coolant hoses that were too short. If that doesnt work out ill grab the union conector your talking about.

Thanks again.

Good info, but even better info in the How to section.

http://67.15.62.79/forums/showpost.php?p=1970520&postcount=6

That should clear it up for you and doesn't cost a thing. Mines been that way for 6 months now without issue.

MY DREAM

Established Member
I HAVE THE ANSWERE!!!! (Same as sonic snake) I have helped several of my friends out when instaling thiers, they had the same issue (as did I).

If you follow the tubing away from your HE you will find a rubber/plastic piece that holds the return and the delivery hoses together, all you have to do is grab ahold of the tube that reaches ok and pull the one that wont reach. The tube will reach all you have to do is find the piece that holds them together and slide the pipe through it till it reaches. Problem solved. You dont need to buy any extra hose or anything, you have what you need you just have to adjust it.

James

Last edited:

Woodsrat

Established Member
I second Mydream's findings. I installed an LFP on my Cobra a couple of months ago and everything lined up perfectly. But two pipes that are parallel to the ground just behind the heat exchanger are held on place with a loop. I had to just tug on one pipe to slide it maybe an inch further through the loop to line up. Perhaps on some cars the loop is tighter and you might have to lube or loosen it first. On mine the tube just slid through the loop with a little tug.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
The instructions that came with my LFP specifically mentioned using WD-40 or similar to aid in sliding the pipes. Worked just fine.

Power Trip

Established Member
MY DREAM said:
I HAVE THE ANSWERE!!!! (Same as sonic snake) I have helped several of my friends out when instaling thiers, they had the same issue (as did I).

If you follow the tubing away from your HE you will find a rubber/plastic piece that holds the return and the delivery hoses together, all you have to do is grab ahold of the tube that reaches ok and pull the one that wont reach. The tube will reach all you have to do is find the piece that holds them together and slide the pipe through it till it reaches. Problem solved. You dont need to buy any extra hose or anything, you have what you need you just have to adjust it.

James

Worked great, thanks bro. :rockon:

Cobra Nate

Banned
Power Trip said:
I was putting my new LFP h/e in tonite. Everything was pretty straight forward. But i found that the coolant hoses dont quite reach. I can get the passenger side one on no problem, but the driver side one is about 2 inchs short. I can see that MAYBE i could force its way on then clamp it, but i really wouldnt trust it holding.

Anyone else run into this? Im gonna grab a new hose from autozone tomorrow and finish it up.

I had to buy a new piece. Same problem as you.

PDubs

Established Member
Same here, I grabbed a union connector and took off the bumper. SO much easier after that.

Users who are viewing this thread