LFP intercooler reservoir question

whipplecharged0

Established Member
As of late I have been having the problem of my coolant popping the seal of the intercooler reservoir lid and spewing coolant all over my windshield. I do not have a clue why it keeps doing this but the seal is pretty much about shot and need a new one. Would anyone know where I could find a new seal at or lid for the reservoir and any idea as to why the coolant keeps popping the seal. The intercooler pump is working fine and don't understand why I am having this problem.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Should be a universal cap for a fuel cell can get them at Jegs or summit

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
Is it leaking around the cap or the where the ring bolts to the reservoir? They sell gaskets for the ring. If the cap is leaking you may have to get a new one.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
no it is not leaking anywhere. for the most part the seal does its job. It has spewed on me 5 times now and only once was at WOT. The other four times happened when I would go to pass another vehicle on the freeway in 6th gear around 70mph

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Does not sound like the I/C pump is working to me.
You say it's working, yet it would appear that after using boost, the resv spews.

Have you data logged IAT2 temps?

Are you aware that many I/C pumps will exhibit intermittent operation due to loose or corroded connections or a pump that is beginning to fail?

Is this the original I/C pump in your car?

What method did you use to verify that the I/C is in fact working?

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
It almost sounds like the intercooler system is being pressurized by the boost made by the supercharger or the I/C pump isn't working.:shrug:

Does the coolant in the I/C reservoir only spew out past the cap under boost?

Last edited:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
It almost sounds like the intercooler system is being pressurized by the boost made by the supercharger or the I/C pump isn't working.:shrug:

Does the coolant in the I/C reservoir only spew out past the cap under boost?

yes only spews out under low boost. but i did find out that the pump was going out. sorry i have not responded to you guys in here. ordered a new pump yesterday and should be here friday.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Does not sound like the I/C pump is working to me.
You say it's working, yet it would appear that after using boost, the resv spews.

Have you data logged IAT2 temps?

Are you aware that many I/C pumps will exhibit intermittent operation due to loose or corroded connections or a pump that is beginning to fail?

Is this the original I/C pump in your car?

What method did you use to verify that the I/C is in fact working?

Well the method i was trying to use was pulling off the cap to see if it was pumping but i did not know it was going out and would cut in and out on pumping. I have noticed that once the car warms up the pump will quit working all together. when the pump is cool it works fine.

also i did try to data log some IAT TEMPS at cruising speeds the other day before i found out it was going out. my IAT TEMPS were staying around 128 at normal cruising speeds. would drop down to around 123-125 if i slowly sped up.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Please forgive the stupid questions but I am new to looking at the data logs, boost, and all this stuff.

what is the difference between IAT and IAT2 temps?

Last edited:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
And so I will better understand why it spews. Please explain to me if you guys do not mind why the tank spews if the pump is not working? Is it from the coolant just getting to hot creating pressure that blows the seal or is it something completely different?

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
My stock one was doing this and it was the ic pump working intermittently and boost pressure was causing it because there was no circulation. Wisco Products makes the caps but you can only buy in quantities of 12 or more.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
My stock one was doing this and it was the ic pump working intermittently and boost pressure was causing it because there was no circulation. Wisco Products makes the caps but you can only buy in quantities of 12 or more.

i ordered the entire cap assembly from LFP.

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
Make sure your IC pump is working 100%. A lot of times they'll work at a dissipated rate for a long period of time so you THINK it's functional, but it's far from the way it should function. Had this problem on my old supercharged cobalt.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
what is the difference between IAT and IAT2 temps?

IAT - This is the temperature of the air entering the intake tract (before the supercharger).

IAT2 - This is the temperature of the air after is has been compressed by the supercharger and pushed through the intercooler.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Useful info in here. I have had the same issues recently. My cap is new, but it is very hard to turn it into correct locking position due to some corrosion. I need to look into whether the pump is working correctly.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
IAT - This is the temperature of the air entering the intake tract (before the supercharger).

IAT2 - This is the temperature of the air after is has been compressed by the supercharger and pushed through the intercooler.

Thank you. Much appreciated. With what you just told me the numbers I recently stated are before the air goes through the blower

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread