lifter noise question

John81

Established Member
hi, I bought an 02 lightning ,the problem im having is a very annoying lifter ticking noise coming from the passenger side. I already changed the spark plugs, cleaned the intercooler, changed the oil and added some lucas oil treatment. Do i need to rebuilt the heads or block? could it be the spark plug coils? my truck only has intake ..

heres a link to a video i posted on youtube ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVNVbgAkudo

Last edited:

Sbr240

Established Member
Sounds like a mechanical problem inside. Definitely going to have too pull valve covers and see what's going on. I just had my driver side head off to repair it was two weeks of fun

c3ac9a1514705fd2e70e06ee579de7d4.jpg

John81

Established Member
Sounds like a mechanical problem inside. Definitely going to have too pull valve covers and see what's going on. I just had my driver side head off to repair it was two weeks of fun

c3ac9a1514705fd2e70e06ee579de7d4.jpg

what was the problem with the head? lash adjuster?

Sbr240

Established Member
My heads have sleeves for spark plugs and had on blow out at the track. Had to double sleeve head and do it on the bench too hard on engine. Plus upgraded some parts while in there. For you it's really easy to change lash adjusters. Just buy and get the valve spring tool from trick flow so you can release tension to remove rocker.

4a7191a

Established Member
My neighbors f250 with the v10 had some clatter. Marvel's mystery oil for a few hundred miles then changed the oil and problem was gone. That stuff really cleaned the motor quite well imo. Oh.. Proof of ford tough. That v10 has 312k miles on it and its still runs pretty well .
Never rebuilt.

Dusten

Established Member
lifter can be changed by pulling the valve cover... but are you sure thats the cause? Judging by your questions you might want to get it professionally evaluated.

John81

Established Member
update: I took my truck to a mechanic who used a stethoscope to pin point were the noise was coming from. He said the noise was coming from the front of the motor which could be timing chain or tensioner pulley.. after 2 days he contacted me saying the tensioner was bad so he replaced it ,but there's still noise coming from the center of the motor..im starting to think I might need block rebuilt...btw the mechanic is going to run further test to see if its in fact the block or the head

John81

Established Member
:update:.. problem solved. seems like the camshaft was loose..mechanic torqued it down to its spec torque..no more ticking noise : )

Dusten

Established Member
How was the cam loose? I'm the cam caps were loose you have more major problems, there will be excess wear. If the cam gear is loose, you need to find out why. They don't just come loose...

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
How was the cam loose? I'm the cam caps were loose you have more major problems, there will be excess wear. If the cam gear is loose, you need to find out why. They don't just come loose...

+1

Either that or someone was into the motor before and didn't re-assemble it correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread