Lifter tick and oil weight

paluka21

Established Member
That's a good write up, but my take from that is the 5w50 breaks down more during normal driving conditions as opposed to the 0w40? Could it be related to the "brand" of oil such as Motorcraft as opposed to the weight? My logic would say the heavier oil would produce a better coating affect where the oil remains on the internals for a longer duration due to the thickness/weight of the oil. But again, that wouldn't account for viscosity breakdown.

DG500

Established Member
so, guys, I refilled with M1 5w30 left on the shelf from my old terminator wioth the matching M1 filter. The tick is all but completely gone...

paluka21

Established Member
so, guys, I refilled with M1 5w30 left on the shelf from my old terminator wioth the matching M1 filter. The tick is all but completely gone...

Are you planning to stick with this oil or will you switch back to the Motorcraft, or Amsoil?

DG500

Established Member
Probably just going to stay with the m1 5w30. Its what my terminator ran on for 100k and looked brand new inside and its what my v10 truck runs on, so I can just continue how it was with the terminator and when its on sale or I'm at costco, I stock the shelf. I run my diesel on rotella t6 or m1. the oil weight definitely made the difference.

paluka21

Established Member
Pulling this thread from the grave. Getting ready to change the oil in my '14 within the next two weekends and wanted to ask around to see who's using the Amsoil 0W40 per "UnleashedBeast's" recommendation for mostly street driven cars. My car has the tap on the drivers side that I would love to be resolved by changing oil weights, but also use an oil that is more suited for the purpose of my car.

Amsoil AZF 0W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT and you do not attend HPDE events, use this. Some people ask me if it’s OK to use this at the HPDE. If you plan to attend one event a year and are not driving the car to the edge of cooling limits, it’s acceptable. Schedule the annual oil change to happen right before the event to insure the lubricant is fresh. However, if you are an experienced HPDE track person, 5W-50 may be better suited for you. See the recommendation for 5W-50.

Amsoil AMR 5W-50 - If your street car has a single/twin turbo or supercharger making a lot of power on pump gas or with advanced timing using E85 (or) If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you HPDE or race your car in competition for extended sessions….use this. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting, daily driven street duties. If you have a turbo or supercharged car that is driven daily, isn’t raced frequently, used on the streets for occasional wide open throttle bursts, Amsoil AZF 0W-40 is a better choice.*

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Pulling this thread from the grave. Getting ready to change the oil in my '14 within the next two weekends and wanted to ask around to see who's using the Amsoil 0W40 per "UnleashedBeast's" recommendation for mostly street driven cars. My car has the tap on the drivers side that I would love to be resolved by changing oil weights, but also use an oil that is more suited for the purpose of my car.

I have never had lifter tick, but my last three oil changes have been Amsoil SS 0W-40 with a Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 filter and my engine seems happy. I have run this oil with both a 192* and 180* T-stat, no issues. Most of my driving is spirited highway and back country roads driving with an occasional drag test and tune event.

Ablaze

Established Member
I've been running Amsoil 0W-40 with their filter for 10k miles. No issues.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Go drive an ls2 gto for a week and you won’t hear the tick anymore. Those things are noisy.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It seems completely hit-or-miss which engines do it. I think one of the best fixes if your engine has the tick is to do a 170 or 180 thermostat. I think keeping the engine oil cooler will help.

My 13 GT500 didn't make the ticking sound, but last 14 GT500 made it but only when it was hot and it was random, my new 14 GT500 doesn't seem to make the noise. But I have only had the car for a couple days.

paluka21

Established Member
It seems completely hit-or-miss which engines do it. I think one of the best fixes if your engine has the tick is to do a 170 or 180 thermostat. I think keeping the engine oil cooler will help.

My 13 GT500 didn't make the ticking sound, but last 14 GT500 made it but only when it was hot and it was random, my new 14 GT500 doesn't seem to make the noise. But I have only had the car for a couple days.

Thats a good point and I may do the thermostat anyways to help cooling.

Thanks for the recommendation.

paluka21

Established Member
I may try the 0w40 Amsoil to see if it remedies mine. But, just to help the motor run a little cooler, I'm also going to install a 170 degree stat.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh, damn.

Thought it was a 13-14 thing.
the 07 to 10s don't seem to have it as much as the 11 to 14s. I still wouldn't call the tick a common issue.
I may try the 0w40 Amsoil to see if it remedies mine. But, just to help the motor run a little cooler, I'm also going to install a 170 degree stat.
Try the 170 Tstat, I think that will help a lot. If you have a handheld tuner make sure you set the fans to come on a little earlier with the new Tstat.

paluka21

Established Member
the 07 to 10s don't seem to have it as much as the 11 to 14s. I still wouldn't call the tick a common issue.

Try the 170 Tstat, I think that will help a lot. If you have a handheld tuner make sure you set the fans to come on a little earlier with the new Tstat.

Thanks man. I would like for it to resolve the noise regardless if two dealers told me it's "benign".
I have an nGauge, so I'll be doing to Lund to update the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread