light cracks on my Goodyear Gatorback belt

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I have a 3.2" pulley and the Goodyear Gatorback 4080745 belt which have been on my car for a few months. The belt is showing some light cracks on the inner grooves. I don't like the look of the cracks and am going to change the belt. After reading a little on the different brands readily available around my area, I saw this description about Dayco belts and how they allow controlled slippage under certain shock conditions. http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.nsf/Product_Poly_Cog?OpenForm
This sounds scarey. I don't want my belt to slip when I ask for extra boost. Is anyone using Dayco belts and have you ever experienced the controlled slippage?
I've gone to my local Napa store and looked at the 080475 Napa belt which is made by Gates. It looks interesting and I am considering buying it. Any comments are welcome.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The Gates is a good belt, but it won't do anything for the slippage problem. I know, I have one on mine. HA! HA! And I am dropping from around 17 to 14, but I'm working on that.

Dana

2003 Cobra

Established Member
The Napa/ Gates 080475 belt works great and has a slightly thicker feeling than the Goodyear belt. For some reason, I am now getting a full 10 lbs of boost under certain conditions and am sometimes spiking a little above 10 lbs. with the 3.2" pulley. Before, with the Goodyear Gatorback belt, I was getting a little under 10 lbs. of boost, at most, with the 3.2" pulley. I think the Goodyear belt was getting a little slippage. Anyone else find light cracks on their Goodyear belt or believe they are getting some slippage?

Users who are viewing this thread