light weight wheels and tire gain...

coyote302

Established Member
I am running racestar 17×9.5 with MT 295-45-17 and it is not lightweight at all....it weight 53 pound each and i was wondering what will be gain by swiching to racestar 15×8 and MT 28x11.5 ET street non radial tire...i will be saving exactly 31 pounds so what gain can i expect....best time was a 11.26 at 121 mph and i am looking for a 10 sec pass next season...i will also add a D.S and save another 20 pounds....what do you think...???

redrum12

Established Member
If u go to american muscle and go to driveshafts theres a video about the weight and a formula the 20lbs of rotating mass from the drive shaft is equal to 80lbs of dead weight so I def think ubwill get 10s

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
There is a reason there are a handful of people that have run into the 10s in N/A form. It's going to take a little more than what you currently have to get there. LTs, a larger stall, and the lighter wheels should get you there, if not right on the edge.

69camaro...

Established Member
Do you have skinnys on the front? Thats usually the whole point of having drag setup, to save the weight in the front.

coyote302

Established Member
Thanks guys....i know that it take more than 51 pound off to run a 10 sec pass....i will be happy if i shave .10 off my time.Just want to see if someone have done this before with result to share.....And yes i will add LT headers ,k-member and bigger stall. But one thing for sure i will leave the stock 3.15 in.....10 sec have been done with 3.31 and i will just play with tire height to pass the line in top of 3 rd gears....

IGO 202

Established Member
I wish I could specifically answer your question but in a sort of apple to oranges way I reduced the rotating weight of my race bike and the outcome was fantastic.
I went from OEM wheels to carbon fiber wheels and lost 17lbs, also lightened the rear brake rotor too and the difference was very rewarding.
I reduced my 1/4 mile time by .2 and picked up almost 3mph.

I believe you'll be pleased with the weight reduction and it's easier on your driveline too.

Dan

coyote302

Established Member
I wish I could specifically answer your question but in a sort of apple to oranges way I reduced the rotating weight of my race bike and the outcome was fantastic.
I went from OEM wheels to carbon fiber wheels and lost 17lbs, also lightened the rear brake rotor too and the difference was very rewarding.
I reduced my 1/4 mile time by .2 and picked up almost 3mph.

I believe you'll be pleased with the weight reduction and it's easier on your driveline too.

Dan
Very nice gain....thank for sharing !!! I can't go slower so i will go for it and hope for at least a .10 drop....:rockon:

Voltwings

Established Member
I used to have a budy who was a hardcore Drag racer who had all sorts of "ricer math," granted most of it seems pretty proven, like the 100 lbs = 1/10th.

He was saying that rotational mass is more beneficial than removing deadweight, because it helps in acceleration itself as opposed to just being lighter. The rough approximation is 1 lb of rotating weight = 4 lbs of dead weight, so the 31 lbs you're losing x 4 = right about 120 lbs or so, give or take. Assuming thats ambitious, you still have a 20 lb or so window of wiggle room which should at least be a 10th all else equal.

86merc

Established Member
Races tar wheels are not a light wheel. A something like a weld RTS will be lighter. More cash but if weight savings is what you are after, racestar wheels are not the best option.

coyote302

Established Member
Races tar wheels are not a light wheel. A something like a weld RTS will be lighter. More cash but if weight savings is what you are after, racestar wheels are not the best option.
Sorry but there is no big difference in weight btw racestar and weld rts.....i have 17 " ,that is alot heavier than 15 "....( 20 pounds vs 15.5)...the big save is in the tire...15"non radial is 22pounds each and my 295-45-17 are 33 pounds....

Stevem17500

Established Member
Sorry but there is no big difference in weight btw racestar and weld rts.....i have 17 " ,that is alot heavier than 15 "....( 20 pounds vs 15.5)...the big save is in the tire...15"non radial is 22pounds each and my 295-45-17 are 33 pounds....

Most of the weight saving is in front skinnies.....take out front sway bar and cross member...and strut tower brace. Washer windshield reservoir. And full exhaust ..rear lca should be north of 100 pounds easy....jpc had lightweight bumper support another 24pounds...There lots of thing s can be done...

coyote302

Established Member
Most of the weight saving is in front skinnies.....take out front sway bar and cross member...and strut tower brace. Washer windshield reservoir. And full exhaust ..rear lca should be north of 100 pounds easy....jpc had lightweight bumper support another 24pounds...There lots of thing s can be done...
I already take out front sway bar and have done my radiator bracket support.I also have 17×4.5 with hoosier tire in front.I dont likr the idea of lightweight bumper support....but are you sure that it is 24 pounds...seem to be alot...thank's men

86merc

Established Member

Weighed a buddies 15x10 Darkstar and my 15x10 RTS wheels and the Weld was lighter. I also have owned both 17" front runners by both manufactures. The Welds was much lighter. If you are really serious about saving weight, weight savings are weight savings. And yes, the radials are heavier than the bias ply tires. I run the bias ply front and rear tires for that reason as well.

Don't forget that even though you lose weight with the bias ply tire you also will have more rolling resistance when compared to a radial.

What does your car weigh? I assume you want to run the ET Streets, instead of the stiff sidewall slicks, because you want to use them on the street? *edit* Saw you have an automatic, the non-stiff sidewall probably would be ok regardless. Your not going to hit them as hard as a manual trans car will.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
I.I dont likr the idea of lightweight bumper support....but are you sure that it is 24 pounds...seem to be alot...thank's men

JPC's website says this for their light weight bumper support.

"Front weighs in at 2lbs 8oz. / Stock front bumper is 13lbs
Rear weighs in at 2lbs 10oz. / Stock rear bumper is almost 16lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT SAVINGS OF ALMOST 24lbs"

Stevem17500

Established Member
There alot of hidden plastics in front bumper....take out the passenger seat and spare another 80lbs and boom close to 180 shed....

coyote302

Established Member
Ok guy's. ..i know i can remove alot of weight but i am not ready to get passenge seat out....it is a steet car and i dont want it to look like a race box...A friend of mine have gone 11.12 at 121.95 mph and full weight...with a 4 c ...so my goal is a 10 sec and with some weight removing all be there. ...thank's again

drewzx3

Established Member
Ok guy's. ..i know i can remove alot of weight but i am not ready to get passenge seat out....it is a steet car and i dont want it to look like a race box...A friend of mine have gone 11.12 at 121.95 mph and full weight...with a 4 c ...so my goal is a 10 sec and with some weight removing all be there. ...thank's again

It takes like 5 minutes to pull front and reaar seats at the track

Stevem17500

Established Member

Ur tuner wit paxton on 3.8 pulley that ran 9s what stall does he use

Users who are viewing this thread