Lighting Mass Air on 96 cobra?

fast02gt

Established Member
I have been thinking of changing out my MAF to the 90mm L mass air. Can you do this without going to 42lb injectors? I have a SCT tuner and it has a option where you can select of you have the L mass air. Is it worth any gains?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
no and no. the lightning 90mm is calibrated for 42# injectors and there are no gains for you there.
They haven't calibrated MAFs to injectors for years. The calibration is done in the tune in the PCM, no insult intended.

That said, you are right about there being no gain. In fact, the stock air pipe won't work and it's just a big hassle.

fast02gt

Established Member
Gotcha...what about a aftermarket MAF like C&L BBK etc? im basically full bolt on, just got some headers so I have full exhaust, tune, steeda pulleys, JLT RAI, stock MAF and throttle body are only things left.

2 cam sam

Established Member
I've seen dyno sheets on c headed Cobras where there worth 4-5 hp on a rear wheel dyno. I put one on my Mach 1 and had to relocate the Iat. It was under a 100 bills for everything so it was worth it for me.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I've seen dyno sheets on c headed Cobras where there worth 4-5 hp on a rear wheel dyno. I put one on my Mach 1 and had to relocate the Iat. It was under a 100 bills for everything so it was worth it for me.

A 90mm MAF will not add 5rwhp to a stock block, n/a combo. Any gains realized by installing one are purely tune related.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread