Lightly modded 01 GT pulls on Mach1

93ChevKilR

Established Member
I raced a local to San Jose CA Mach 1 on 680 last Saturday night. I see this car driving around my area all the time, it is DSG, lowered + tinted, and has the old Mach1 rear window louvers (SP?? the black things covering the entire back window like the old cars??) The car also sports a very loud and nice sounding exhaust note.

I raced him twice on 680, once from I think about 60 or 65, the second time from about 45. The first run I pulled a solid 1-1/2 car on him, and he shut down before I did. The second run we started from about 45, since I slowed down to give him another chance, this time I was considering dropping to 2nd, but never have on the freeway, so I just kept it in 3rd. This run was closer, but I slowly started pulling through 3rd, then pulled again when I shifted to 4th. I slowed due to a car in the fast lane, and he flew by. But it was undeniable, I pulled cleanly on him twice.

To be honest, I was shocked. I told my girlfriend we were going to lose but who cares, and I couldnt believe it when I got him the first time.

This is an intimidating car (for me at least), being a Mach 1st of all, and having what appear to be at least 275-285 tires in the rear, and a crazy sounding exhaust.

My car is a 2001 5 spd GT. It has a BBK CAI, frpp 3.73 gears, a 75mm TB and upper intake plenum, an SCT chip with a preloaded tune, and a Flowmaster cat-back being the only mod to the exhaust. Does this sound right to anyone? My car seems pretty fast for what it is, and I have won a few times I thought that I wouldnt, but man I was proud of my GT when I was done.

THAITED

Established Member
Good kill, could be the driver mods too. I live in SJ what color is your car? May be I've seen you around.

93ChevKilR

Established Member
Yeah, I know I was shifting as good as I can, who knows what was going on in his car haha.

My car is Mineral Grey. Pretty unremarkeable looking, no tint, stock 8in bullets with 255 nt555s. It's lowered also. I live off of McKee/Alum Rock area.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
i dont see how, i have the same mods as you ( except for stock TB) along with a different mid pipe with high flow cats and a friends mach that has fullexhaust (long tubes) and a IRS (more weight) beats me from a roll everytime.

From like 30, i will pull him at the start but by top of 3rd it is by me and then puts cars on me in 4th.

They have more top end.

O and this same car with just a mid pipe and cat back put down 300/315 on a dynojet.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
Its probably a stock mach, Plus those cars are super weak from a kick if they arent in the right rpms. I know, i have one. Raced a 350Z and a ws6 t/a and both of em pulled me by around a car til i got in the rpms then i pulled by both of them.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Shitty Mach 1 driver or like said it was an automatic. Thats the only way this could have happened. I guess anything can happen on the street?

Last edited by a moderator:

93ChevKilR

Established Member
hmm, I can't recall any stickers on the window, but im not sure. the thing that stands out about this car the most is the rear window covers.

the mach is definately a stick though, and the driver is friends and used to work with my girlfriend's cousin's boyfriend, who I know, but have never met the driver. the car sounds sick though. and somehow I was able to pull away from him. the occupants did look like a couple decently big guys..??

my cousin bought a 2006 GT, i pulled him pretty good from a freeway roll with the same mods i have now, when he had only an axle back and catted bassani X. I know the exhaust isnt worth much on those cars, but i put a few car lengths on him as well.

leenstang

Low and Slow
Established Member
Nice kill man , i have owned both a 03 mach and an 01gt (my present car) .. sounds like your car has the driver mod

Na5ty 2V

Established Member
nice kill man...i believe this could happen especially because of your gears.

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
either your car runs really good for its mods or you beat the driver of the mach!

but it doesnt matter either way, good kill! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread