Lightning engine in a mustang??

ChronicReign

Chrome bumper your face!
Established Member
Before I get jumped on, no, I don't want to put my engine in a mustang. Here is the story.

Friend of mine works at a carwash and had a 04 terminator come in the other day. Guy claims that he bought the car and the engine blew up. He then sued Ford and won, getting them to install a brand new 5.4L Lightning engine in his mustang.

I really want to call :bs: on the guy, but I haven't been up there to see the mustang yet. My friend said he saw the engine and it looked like the L engine, but in all honesty I doubt he would know the difference.

So my question is, beyond it being highly unlikely that this guy sued Ford and got them to put in another engine, is it even possible to fit that engine in the mustang bay?

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
Yes, it is some people have done it. I highly doubt Ford would buy a different motor for his car tho.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
If the motor was sticking through his hood, then he had a Lightning motor in it. If not, then its just a Cobra motor.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Yeah, the damn thing is going to look huge in a Mustang. It's going to be REALLY obvious, considering it won't fit under the stock hood.

KYLightning02

Established Member
Ok yea he could have sued ford and probably won BUT without a different hood and probably some other things then he doesnt have one PLUS FORD wouldnt put a lightning engine in his mustang they would have replaced the old engine with a crate engine and would of been the exact same...my lightning motor blew up and ford replaced it because it was still under warranty but its not like i coulda said i demand you to put a different engine in it???? BS on his story

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I think it would have been stupid to put a L motor in an 04 Cobra. You can make a hell of a lot more power with the 4 cam

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Total BS. Ford is lucky to be able to do a direct part for part replacement without screwing up. The amount adaptation required is way above any Ford dealer I know and definitely not under any kind of warranty agreement.

TXRickC

Established Member
A Lightning motor in a Mustang has been done several times that I've seen on the boards and only once have I seen it done without a hole in the hood.
would Ford have agreed to do this, no.

ChronicReign

Chrome bumper your face!
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. That just strengthens my thoughts that this guy is full of chit. I hope I am around the next time this guy comes in, I want to go up there and see his "L motor"

motorider228

Established Member
off topic but this all reminds me of the guy I know that has taken me for a few spins in his lightning. He says his motor is a 4.6 liter and all of our mutual friends (none of which are car guys) think i'm full of bs when I say it has a 5.4 in it. Point of the story, your friend may think he saw a 5.4 when it is actually a 4.6. Some people are just too dumb to tell the difference. Shit, the guy who owns the car may actually believe ford put a 5.4 in his car.

ChronicReign

Chrome bumper your face!
Established Member
motorider228 said:
off topic but this all reminds me of the guy I know that has taken me for a few spins in his lightning. He says his motor is a 4.6 liter and all of our mutual friends (none of which are car guys) think i'm full of bs when I say it has a 5.4 in it. Point of the story, your friend may think he saw a 5.4 when it is actually a 4.6. Some people are just too dumb to tell the difference. Shit, the guy who owns the car may actually believe ford put a 5.4 in his car.

I agree that my friend wouldn't know what the L engine looked like from just opening the hood. He believed it was a 5.4 because he said that engine had 5.4 badging on it somewhere (friend didn't really specify where)

I still think the guy is full of it. No way Ford just up and threw a L engine in his mustang because his blew. Just doesnt add up

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I've sued Ford and won. No they wouldn't do what you speak of since the outcome is about money plain and simple. If you sue them you don't get parts.

lightning_2001

Established Member
so i guess ford was like "sorry for the **** up.we couldnt find a 4.6 so here's an L motor for your term".

Users who are viewing this thread