Lightning Lap 2018: Impressive numbers for the beefy ZR1 at VIR

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member

laptimes-2018a-1537392544.jpg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The PP2 showed well, too.

Camaro SS 1le/ZL1 1le suspiciously absent. The ZL1 1le would be uncomfortably close to the FGT. Also would like to see PP2 vs. SS 1le.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The GT was unusually slow given what is has shown at other times.

Oh well, different days, different drivers.

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
The downfall of the lightning lap is the inconsistency of the drivers. Some suck and some are exceptional. This isnt like motortrend hiring Randy Pobst as their driver to do timed laps.
Agree..although they had multiple drivers drive the cars.

Last edited:

Z06

Established Member
Kinda impressive for those drivers who are not pro to come within 2 secs of the ZR1’s fastest time posted by Mero.

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
Kinda impressive for those drivers who are not pro to come within 2 secs of the ZR1’s fastest time posted by Mero.
Totally...these were no scrub drivers. Not to mention they had I believe multiple drivers drive these cars and then took the best times.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The GT was unusually slow given what is has shown at other times.

Oh well, different days, different drivers.

I do not keep too close tabs on FGT but from what I have seen it seems like a huge disappointment. Here is getting housed by a AMG GTR.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I do not keep too close tabs on FGT but from what I have seen it seems like a huge disappointment. Here is getting housed by a AMG GTR.

Remember, the GT was purpose built for one track, which was La Sarthe. It certainly did that well.

Like they mentioned in the video, the track is too small and technical for the GT to start to "work." The narrower tires don't help either.

The GTR is no slouch either. You can't discount that car, Mercedes did a phenomenal job with it. Actually, all of those cars in that test are incredible.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

Camaro SS 1le/ZL1 1le suspiciously absent. The ZL1 1le would be uncomfortably close to the FGT. Also would like to see PP2 vs. SS 1le.

The SS 1LE a 2017 model ran in 2016 and is a second slower at VIR than the PP2 this year. I don't know how much stock you can put in that. I think it's worth noting the SS 1LE was nearly a second faster than PP2 at Laguna Seca (Randy Probst drove both). FWIW I think these are pretty evenly matched cars.

Here is a link to all times at VIR thru the years

Lightning Lap Results 2006 to 2018: Every Car, Every Lap Time

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

You must have missed the hennessey track hawk vs Ford gt. GT gets destroyed. Ford needs to give up allocations and just mass produce this car. Power is weak too. @ford please sell me a Ford gt for 20k. I will drive it at Laguna Seca and Sonoma and post on social media for more recognition.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
You must have missed the hennessey track hawk vs Ford gt. GT gets destroyed. Ford needs to give up allocations and just mass produce this car. Power is weak too. @ford please sell me a Ford gt for 20k. I will drive it at Laguna Seca and Sonoma and post on social media for more recognition.

You expect it to win in a drag race against a 1000hp modified AWD car that can only go fast straight?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blk02edge

Established Member
The NFGT is not as great as people think. Great car but not the be all end all. The allocation thing is crazy.
What you guys forget is the only reason there is a street legal version was so they could build and race the GTLM car, beat ferrari at lemans and say they did it with their ecoboost motor. Mad brand image. They dont give a **** what rookies do for lap times on lightning lap in their street car. Chevy on the other hand does care which is why they build the 1le and ZR1 variants with shaved tires from the factory

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
A33627F2-A060-45E1-A181-F970E5CE803B.jpeg

Considering the Ford GT has tested faster than the 918 on several tracks I’m sure you’d say the 918 is a dissapointment too.

Billy pulled one lap with the instructions to save the tires. He was taking selfies at 147mph through the corners...haha.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
What you guys forget is the only reason there is a street legal version was so they could build and race the GTLM car, beat ferrari at lemans and say they did it with their ecoboost motor. Mad brand image. They dont give a **** what rookies do for lap times on lightning lap in their street car. Chevy on the other hand does care which is why they build the 1le and ZR1 variants with shaved tires from the factory

Well aware, just like the '90's. They do what they want because people will pay it.

View attachment 1516936
Considering the Ford GT has tested faster than the 918 on several tracks I’m sure you’d say the 918 is a dissapointment too.

Billy pulled one lap with the instructions to save the tires. He was taking selfies at 147mph through the corners...haha.

NASA will black flag you if you have your phone out or many guys will have 147+ MPH selfies. VIR has great spots for that.

Users who are viewing this thread