Lightning or Cobra swap?

JoeS197

Established Member
What would be a better swap for a SN95 (99-04) Mustang? A Lightning 5.4L 2v or a 03-04 cobra 4.6l 4v? I really love the look of the supercharger sticking out of the hood on the lightning swaps I've seen :rockon: but some buddies of mine were suggesting a cobra swap might be the better route to go. So I am looking for advice on how hard each one is to swap, which is the better engine, and which would be easier to get to around 500-550hp?

Lightning swap pros:

- More displacement
- Supercharger sticking out of the hood. (Just looks plain bada**)
- More torque (stock)
- More unique

Lightning swap cons:

- I believe the engine is a lot heavier
- Wasn't really meant to be in the mustang like the cobra engine
- 2v heads (vs. the cobra's 4v heads)

Cobra swap pros:

- A bunch of people have done the swap
- Lighter than the 5.4l
- Seems to be the simpler swap
- Fits under stock hood (pretty sure)
- More aftermarket support
- 4v heads

Cobra swap cons:

- Not as much torque
- No blower wicking out of hood : (
- less displacement
- Much more common (less unique)
- I'm thinking it will be more expensive? (Not 100% sure about this)

I'm also wondering if you can put 4v heads on the lightning engine? And will the engine work with a T56 in the mustang? Any info or suggestions would greatly appreciated :beer:

Adiabatik

Banned
What are you more concerned with, looking cool with a motor sticking out of your hood and being only "slightly faster" -OR- looking sly with no giant motor sticking out of the hood and being "much faster"?

No brainer IMO

JoeS197

Established Member
What are you more concerned with, looking cool with a motor sticking out of your hood and being only "slightly faster" -OR- looking sly with no giant motor sticking out of the hood and being "much faster"?

No brainer IMO

In my opinion the Lightning swap looks a lot cooler than your average 4.6l 4v swap you see all the time, and produces around the same hp and a lot more tq, so how is it that it is only "slightly faster" compared to the cobra swap which is "much faster" ?

Adiabatik

Banned
In my opinion the Lightning swap looks a lot cooler than your average 4.6l 4v swap you see all the time, and produces around the same hp and a lot more tq, so how is it that it is only "slightly faster" compared to the cobra swap which is "much faster" ?

Oh boy. All I can do is smile and shake my head. You're a complete noob to the mod motors, aren't you. There is a reason why you don't see very many Lightning swaps...because they are pricey and are weak.

Do you honestly think that you're the first idiot that has considered this? :rollseyes

JoeS197

Established Member
Oh boy. All I can do is smile and shake my head. You're a complete noob to the mod motors, aren't you. There is a reason why you don't see very many Lightning swaps...because they are pricey and are weak.

Do you honestly think that you're the first idiot that has considered this? :rollseyes

How could you say I'm a noob to mod motors by just reading that post? Many have considered and even went through with swapping this motor, you don't see that many because the engines aren't as plentiful and harder to swap. I have also yet to find a 03-04 cobra engine that was cheaper than a lightning engine. I know they have weaker rods but I'm not aiming for 1000hp+ and even with buying new internals it would be cheaper than a cobra engine and still make more power like I said before.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
The rods are junk in the lightning and you can only rev to 5200 rpm in the thing.

I doubt it'll be faster than a 4v with a blower. The L motors are so heavy, your car will be like a snow plow.

Anything over 450 rwhp with the lightning is a ticking time bomb. I don't even know why they are so expensive. Crappy blower, iron block, hard to work on, etc.

JoeS197

Established Member
The rods are junk in the lightning and you can only rev to 5200 rpm in the thing.

I doubt it'll be faster than a 4v with a blower. The L motors are so heavy, your car will be like a snow plow.

Anything over 450 rwhp with the lightning is a ticking time bomb. I don't even know why they are so expensive. Crappy blower, iron block, hard to work on, etc.

I get your points but the cobra motor also has an iron block and the blower is really similar and not much better. I also don't think they're too hard to work on either because it's virtually the same engine that was in every f-150 at the time with the exception of the supercharger, internals, etc.. But it's the same design.

JoeS197

Established Member
Do the lightning swap then if you think it's so cool and amazing.

Why all the hate from everyone? All I've gathered so far is that the lightning motor has weaker internals but is cheaper, with the money you would save you could upgrade the internals. I'm debating on which would be best for my build and which would be the best for my wallet.

JoeS197

Established Member
You obviously want the L motor....

I'm actually considering it because I can get the motor much cheaper than a cobra motor and I have a buddy with a wrecked lightning which would make the motor easy to get. You have given me no help what so ever and have just been giving me hate, so I'd appreciate it if you actually gave some useful input or just stopped replying in my thread. :beer:

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
you came in here asking for opinions, those opinions you were searching have been given. If the opinions that were given are not the ones you wanted to hear then ignore them……or just don't ask for opinions.

the input was useful you just don't have any use for opinions other then "the lightning motor would look boss in my NE"

i was going to edit in some information that would be "useful" IMO but opinions against the lightning motor don't count for much in this thread.

GL OP

Last edited:

Turkey_Lurker03

Established Member
I like the L swap. Looks and sounds cool but wouldn't go through all that on my car. I like my long tubes and wouldn't want to drop $$$ on custom exhaust. Cars handling might be compromised ? When swap time comes I would be thinking terminator or coyote. Don't sweat the hate ppl are prob right anyway.

JoeS197

Established Member
you came in here asking for opinions, those opinions you were searching have been given. If the opinions that were given are not the ones you wanted to hear then ignore them……or just don't ask for opinions.

the input was useful you just don't have any use for opinions other then "the lightning motor would look boss in my NE"

i was going to edit in some information that would be "useful" IMO but opinions against the lightning motor don't count for much in this thread.

GL OP

I'm not trying to be an a** but I asked for suggestions and useful info not "your a noob with mod motors" or "your not the first idiot to think about trying that" and "Lightning swaps are stupid"

JoeS197

Established Member
I like the L swap. Looks and sounds cool but wouldn't go through all that on my car. I like my long tubes and wouldn't want to drop $$$ on custom exhaust. Cars handling might be compromised ? When swap time comes I would be thinking terminator or coyote. Don't sweat the hate ppl are prob right anyway.

See this is what I'm looking for, useful advice :beer:

Adiabatik

Banned
I don't understand this thread at all. OP, you asked for advice regarding a Lightning vs. Cobra swap. You gave no other criteria for the comparison. I may have been brash with my responses (I cant stand threads asking for advice when that person is really looking for justification)......but everyone did exactly what you asked for. There really is no comparison between a Lightning motor and a cobra motor. The 4V will outperform the 5.4 in every category, including potential.

If you have access to a cheap L motor, why even make this thread? Is a cobra motor even an option for you or were you just looking for validation?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Personally I think lightning swaps look absolutely stupid. It's like buying a set of wheels that don't fit correctly. Sure they may go on, but they'll look out of place when you could've just bought something that fit correctly the first time. There is absolutely zero point in doing a lightning swap, it's a heavier less potent motor with internals that are nearly on par with the gt's.

Op this is the mistake people make when they ask for advice. They give two choices, like you did. However we all have one were leaning towards. But when someone discredits why it's a good idea they get pissy about it, just like you did.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I'd just buy an aluminum 03/04 mach 1 motor and put a centri blower on that. And I agree with what has been said in the above 3 posts.

Users who are viewing this thread