Lightning or Cobra swap?

JoeS197

Established Member
What would be a better swap for a SN95 (99-04) Mustang? A Lightning 5.4L 2v or a 03-04 cobra 4.6l 4v? I really love the look of the supercharger sticking out of the hood on the lightning swaps I've seen :rockon: but some buddies of mine were suggesting a cobra swap might be the better route to go. So I am looking for advice on how hard each one is to swap, which is the better engine, and which would be easier to get to around 500-550hp?

Lightning swap pros:

- More displacement
- Supercharger sticking out of the hood. (Just looks plain bada**)
- More torque (stock)
- More unique

Lightning swap cons:

- I believe the engine is a lot heavier
- Wasn't really meant to be in the mustang like the cobra engine
- 2v heads (vs. the cobra's 4v heads)

Cobra swap pros:

- A bunch of people have done the swap
- Lighter than the 5.4l
- Seems to be the simpler swap
- Fits under stock hood (pretty sure)
- More aftermarket support
- 4v heads

Cobra swap cons:

- Not as much torque
- No blower wicking out of hood : (
- less displacement
- Much more common (less unique)
- I'm thinking it will be more expensive? (Not 100% sure about this)

I'm also wondering if you can put 4v heads on the lightning engine? And will the engine work with a T56 in the mustang? Any info or suggestions would greatly appreciated :beer: (I know this doesn't exactly have to do with terminators but it has to do with their engine, and I wasn't getting that many responses in the sn95 and new edge section so I decided to post it over here to)

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Cobra Manley connecting rods are much stronger than the sinter-forged ones in the lightnings. Long stroke (5.4) + high RPM + boost = broken rods and holes in block. Go with the cobra motor

Last edited:

JoeS197

Established Member
Cobra Manley connecting rods are much stronger than the sinter-forged ones in the lightnings. Long stroke (5.4) + high RPM + boost = broken rods and holes in block. Go with the cobra motor

Thanks for the info man :beer: I was not aware they had sinter forged rods, who made the rods for the lightnings? But either way I would probably be upgrading internals on either engine eventually anyways so it wouldn't be that big of a deal really.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I vote cobra swap. It's better in every way except for being smaller, which you can easily make up for with a smaller pulley. Plus if you get bored with the eaton you can toss it and go to a whipple/tvs/kb and make 6-700 without having to build the engine.

Also, the L swap looks ridiculous. It's not the blower that sticks out of the hood it's the intake which just looks stupid. I see people all the time posting pics of them on Facebook pages and get a good laugh out of them. Plus if you did the l thing, and eventually wanted more you'd have to build the engine, and when you put a diff blower on it it wouldn't be sticking out of the good anymore since itd come with the proper intake so you'd have a hole in your hood for no reason.

Users who are viewing this thread