lights dimming at high rpm...

gravey32

Established Member
I jus bought a alternator a month ago from advance.. and now its dimmin at high rmps... is this my alternator again?... i heard they get overspun...

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Yes its the alternator again. Very likely.

Let the debate begin for to which one to go with.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I'm running a BRAND NEW 135a off of a Aluminator, direct fit to the 03-04 cobra despite the picture the catalog shows. So far, having great luck with it. Being a all new Ford alt, I totally expect it to last 20-40k miles (stock 110a lasted almost 70k). I have been told that you want to keep the original rotor and windings. I have my orginal alternator that i will hang onto and have a local shop go through it and keep it as a "spare". Something about the way the wires/leads are secured to the rotor, and the "varnish" that you find on most re-mans is crap, note the OEM windings are a yellow VS the re-mans thick, brown coating .... which I guess leads to trouble. As well as cheap re-man rotor leads flying apart (chinsy "soldered" leads that fly loose under RPM). Nothing is as durable as a Ford OEM voltage regulator.

... Just my .02

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Have never ever had luck with an auto part store alternator no matter what vehicle needed replacement. OEM at a minimum for my vehicles unless I do an upgraded one.

scorched

Established Member
I'm running a BRAND NEW 135a off of a Aluminator, direct fit to the 03-04 cobra despite the picture the catalog shows. So far, having great luck with it. Being a all new Ford alt, I totally expect it to last 20-40k miles (stock 110a lasted almost 70k). I have been told that you want to keep the original rotor and windings. I have my orginal alternator that i will hang onto and have a local shop go through it and keep it as a "spare". Something about the way the wires/leads are secured to the rotor, and the "varnish" that you find on most re-mans is crap, note the OEM windings are a yellow VS the re-mans thick, brown coating .... which I guess leads to trouble. As well as cheap re-man rotor leads flying apart (chinsy "soldered" leads that fly loose under RPM). Nothing is as durable as a Ford OEM voltage regulator.

... Just my .02

Do you have a link?

Users who are viewing this thread