Lights flickering

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Has anyone used PA Performance's 4G alternator repair kit? My lights continue to flicker. My wife bought me a Cobra radar detector that has a volt meter on it and I'm going from 14.2 - 14.8V. I think 14.8 is a little high so I'm thinking of getting the 4G alternator repair kit. Thanks for your input.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Have you double checked the voltage at the battery? At least then you'll know how accurate the detecter is. If the lights are flickering I'd suspect a ground issue. Especially if that's the only problem you're having.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Thanks for the response slo. I just checked at the battery when the detector was reading 14.8-14.9V and my multimeter was reading the same. I even saw 15.X on my meter sometimes. I checked a lot of grounds a while back when the flickering started and nothing was coming up obvious. I still don't think the voltage should be getting as high as 15V so I'll probably get the PA Performance 4G alternator repair kit and see what that does. The flickering may be a completely separate issue.:fm:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You're right in that it shouldn't get that high. I think 14.5vdc is the norm. Is it just a rebuild kit or does it upgrade the output?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
It's just the rebuild kit -- new voltage regulator, brushes, and bearings for $60 minus the SVTP discount from AM. My alternator isn't making any noise so I think I'll just keep the bearings in the "save for the future" pile I have. I heard you had your alternator rebuilt by a friend so your output is higher. I don't have any such friends at the moment. The stock 130A should be good enough for me right now.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Pull out the yellow pages and find a local shop that rebuilds them. I've had several rebuild for under 50 bucks and have had them upgraded to higher amps.

It's usually a hole in the wall shop. Pro tip: Find the one run by the guy with the least amount of teeth that only takes cash.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's just the rebuild kit -- new voltage regulator, brushes, and bearings for $60 minus the SVTP discount from AM. My alternator isn't making any noise so I think I'll just keep the bearings in the "save for the future" pile I have. I heard you had your alternator rebuilt by a friend so your output is higher. I don't have any such friends at the moment. The stock 130A should be good enough for me right now.
Ok. I was just curious. I have a spare sitting on the shelf I was thinking of rebuilding as a just in case thing.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Just want to post the conclusions for posterity:

I put the regulator in from PA Performance's 4G alternator repair kit. I didn't put the bearings in since the bearings are still quiet.

Results: The voltage is now 14V (night) to 14.6V (day) and the flickering is gone. :D

Users who are viewing this thread