Limerock - Oct 24th with Loose Nuts Motorsports

dmichaels

Established Member
I'm headed to Limerock on Oct 24th with a couple friends. Will be instructing one of them, and then driving my Mustang for what will likely be my last outing for 2014. Anyone else going? I know Steve will be there... beware I'll (finally) have slicks with me :)

If anyone signs up, make sure to advise LNM that I referred you! Trying to get a big crowd out!

http://www.loosenutmotorsports.com/

14GTBrembo

Established Member
I was going to go but it is sold out now. Did you run your car with the OEM wheels and Pirelli tires? What did you think of that? I have a similar car and am not thrilled. The Pirellis seem to get greasy fast and then pick up a tone of track debris on the tread blocks. Now considering 9.5 in. wheels with 275/35-19 Michelin Super Sports, Nitto NT05 or Yokihama Advan AD08R. It's my first year and looking for tires that build confidence and are predictable. Not ready for R's yet.

My last day will be SCDA Nov. 1st also at LRP. Maybe it will snow. My first day was NASA at LRP on March 29th and there was some ice on the outside corner of the uphill with snow melt running down the track.

Any thoughts on tires?

dmichaels

Established Member
I have run my car a couple times with the OEM Pirelli's. I've run them at Watkins Glen and NYST when the car was otherwise stock (plus track pads), and this Sept at Thompson when I didn't have time to put on my track wheels. I found the car was quicker with the Pirelli's compared with the staggered setup I've been using for the track all season. I have found they are pretty grippy and have not had issues with them getting greasy, but the weather has been in the 50's and 60's on the days I've run them. I like the square setup though, as the car was a lot more neutral on the square setup compared with staggered.

I'm always a bit nervous running this late in the season. Weather is questionable... hoping the rain clears out by Friday for LRP this week.

Lots of people run the Nitto NT01 as a track tire and love it. I've been running a 300 treadwear tire all season at the track (and have put about 1100 miles on them... still have ~30% tread) so I could go a whole season on one set of tires, but pending weather I'm finally getting on DOT slicks this week.

Ideally I'd run Conti scrubs or Hoosier R6's, but I got a great deal on BF Goodrich R1's. I've got a couple seasons under my belt though...

You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Michelins. They are excellent tires. I have a friend who ran NT05's this season and liked them. He was very quick with them. Seemed predictable and grippy. He actually said the sidewall on the NT05 is stiffer than the NT01 - the NT01's seemed to be folding over a bit as witnessed by strange handling characteristics and witness marks on the tires. They held up fine otherwise, and various guys run them without issue.

I haven't played around with anything else yet, but I'm also looking at what street tires I want to put on my GT500 wheels for the track next season. Lucky enough to have 2 sets of track wheels now, one with slicks and one with streets. Theory is I'll run the slicks one or two sessions to knock out some quick laps and keep a $&%@ eating grin on my face for a session or two, and otherwise rotate in the streets.

Not sure what I'll use though. I'm considering the GT500 OEM Eagle F1's because of price and size... might run a 285 square setup. Hard to find a better deal than $150/tire new...

Steveespo

Established Member
I'll be there Friday and Saturday Derek. Have Toyo R888s and Continental take offs mounted. Weather is supposed to break at 5 am Friday morning, damp conditions at least until 10am, might have to bring Michelin PSS's
Steve

dmichaels

Established Member
I'll be there Friday and Saturday Derek. Have Toyo R888s and Continental take offs mounted. Weather is supposed to break at 5 am Friday morning, damp conditions at least until 10am, might have to bring Michelin PSS's
Steve

Looking forward to it Steve. Which run group are you in? I'll be with Pete in Advanced. I know John and his son Dave will be in Int 2, and then my friend John is driving in Int 1 with his 335is. I'm planning to run my Sumi's for the first session, and then hopefully toss the R1's on for the rest of the day. Which will be dry. I know it. Sunny, 60F and dry :)

14GTBrembo

Established Member
Thanks for the great feedback on tires. Really appreciate it! On an 85 degree day at Watkins Glen my tires had a 1/8 to 3/16 build up of track goo on the tread blocks. Made a grinding noise on corners and did not inspire confidence. My brothers Z06 with Michelin Pilot PS2s had none of this build up. It does seem as though our heavy cars need more tire than a 255 width. It would be interesting to see a comparison of various cars - pounds per square inch of contact patch.

Good luck with the weather this Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread