limit of boost on 5.0

redstang

i'm just curious to how much boost these blocks can take before they split. i have a stock block with forged pistons, stock rods and forged crank. assembly fully balanced. i'm running 10psi with an s trim on stock pullies. i have a 3" pulley but i dont know if that'll be too much for the motor. let me know what you guys think.

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
My friend split his block, In a 92 with 450 to the wheels. Now he has a race block and finaly o-ringed the damn thing. He had 13-15psi. Do you have a stud girdle or any support of the block from twisting?

Last edited by a moderator:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The general rule of thumb on a stock 5.0 block is not to exceed 500hp. That's right about where those badboys crack. A main girdle will help, and they make a support that goes across the lifter valley now as well, might be worth looking into if you are close to that 500hp mark...

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
As for how much boost your specific motor can take aside from the 500hp block limit...that depends on alot of things, such as the condition of your rods, what kind of compression you have etc..

redstang

i have stock compression, stock rods, forged pistons, forged crank, stock block. No girdle that i know of...

redstang

FISHTAIL said:
The general rule of thumb on a stock 5.0 block is not to exceed 500hp. That's right about where those badboys crack. A main girdle will help, and they make a support that goes across the lifter valley now as well, might be worth looking into if you are close to that 500hp mark...

500rwhp or fwhp?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
At the crank. As for stock internals I don't know if I'd really try to push past the 400 mark. I might even call it at 375 to be safe, but I'm really not to sure there..seen people make close to 450(flywheel) on stock internals before an not have a problem.

If you are still running the stock 9.5:1, then I'd probably put my cutoff around 12lbs, 14 if you wanna push it a little, but I personally wouldn't go more than that. That should have you right around what the thing can handle anyway depending on your head/cam/intake setup.

Unfortunatly my knowledge of boosted 5.0's is limited. I had a vortec'd 93GT for about 2 months before I sold it and got my 03 cobra. The 5.0 I still have will be an N/A build so I never looked into what stock internals can take boost wise. I'm sure someone who knows far more than I will chime in, and possibly correct any mis-information I may have spread.

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
425rwhp with no block support and stock powerd metal rods. a safe tune and dont go crazy with the rpms all the time you should be alright for a while. if you take the engine down to build it please o ring it, it will save you $$$ on heads and gaskets.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Smokin03svt said:
425rwhp with no block support and stock powerd metal rods. a safe tune and dont go crazy with the rpms all the time you should be alright for a while. if you take the engine down to build it please o ring it, it will save you $$$ on heads and gaskets.

well if you dont blow a headgasket when something goes wrong then you'll blow a piston or valve...you decide which you'd prefer to replace! I prefer to use my H.G. as the "fuse" let it blow instead. if your tune is right you wont need some fancy copper gasket for a mild boosted app. 10-15 psi. ive got just felpro 1011's and see 15psi on cool days :thumbsup:

as for hp and psi limits of the stock block. what i know to be true is- 500hp is the blocks limit which is USUALLY what breaks first (aside from blown H.G.)
boost number isnt really that important. yes the higher the number the more heat and so the harder to stave off deto. but all in all its about hp limits. which like already has been stated on a 5.0 the rods,pistons,crank are all usually ok its the block that goes first.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread