List those +HP mods

poosay

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra and its time to start modding it. All it has right now is exhaust. What are some good bolt ons to add HP. I'll probably get a JLT CAI soon so besides that...

also, do 4.3s decrease your gas mileage? My car is my daily driver since im only 17

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
What kind of exhasut do you have? Is the factory H pipe replaced already or are you just talking about a catback?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Doug said:
get some good tires, and some 4.30s. That should suffice for now :)

+1. some lowering springs would really set the car off too. these cars were meant to be 4x4's in their previous life....

good luck

mystic1219

Established Member
I am not as big of a gear hog as most of the 96-98 guys. I like my 3.73s, but would probably go with 4.10s if changing from stock. I had a buddy with same mods but 4.30s and we used to play around all the time and from a stop, or any kind of roll I would always pull on him. Now if we were both in the same gear doing the same speed and punched it he would pull, but if we got to each chose the gear to start in I could pull on him at any mph.
If you have the stock shifter then that should be one of the first things to go. MGW cant be beat, though all the others are a big improvement over stock. A JLT would help. I am also not a big fan of dynotuning unless you have a power adder or major mods. I have seen guys spend hundreds of $$ on a dyno tune just to pick up 3-8hp. Thats not to say some people dont gain 10+, but I have seen better gains from cheaper bolt ons as opposed to a tune. Also a set of underdrive pulleys would go well with the other mods.

Last edited:

novi331

Established Member
I recently did a JLT CAI, and it is a great mod.. I had a little run in with an LS1 SS with unknown mods other than a cut out, and I pulled him through 3rd gear about a 1/2 car.. My car has 4.10s, x pipe, bassani muffs, JLT CAI, shifter.. I was pretty excited as I thought the SS was going to put a hurting on my from all the talk about how awesome they are in 3rd gear..

Getting 4.10s would be a good bet. A lot of people will tell you to get 4.30 or 4.56s, but that's a little too short in my opinion. I would recommend getting longtube headers too. That will give you some good power all around. They're a pain in the ass to install, but well worth it. Plus, they usually add a little deeper sound to your ride.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The shifter is the first mod. Getting one with shift stops is a must! Especially if you are new to the Stangs and driving a stick hard. Your transmission and wallet will thank you.

I think the 4:10's would be a good upgrade over the stock 3:27's However, if you plan on adding a supercharger later the gearing will depend on what type you choose. A centrifical will do well with a 3:73 or 4:10 gear. You won't want that much gear in a KB car though. I wouldn't go bigger than a 3:73 there.

You planing on staying all motor? Do you plan on a power adder later? You just want a quick pick it up?

BooRail85

Banned
i remember being new to these cars and not knowing what type of gear to get.. but after hearing all the reviews, I went with the 4.30's. LOVE EM.. I think they are the perfect all around gear for these cars.. plus i still get about 23mpg on the highway at 80mph (3k rpm).

and a +1 for the longtubes.. best bolt on mod for the 4v.

blackfang

Established Member
A Shifter is a must. Don and I finally agree on something:-D

Again, the goals of the engine is what will decide what gear you get. If you plan on staying NA or Nitrous 4.30's. A centrifugal blower, 4.10's. A Roots type, 3.73 or below.

Exhaust wise I love my Longtubes, o/r x and dumps. The LT's really woke this car up and the low to midrange power is nice and she screams at 7k.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
blackfang said:
A Shifter is a must. Don and I finally agree on something:-D

Again, the goals of the engine is what will decide what gear you get. If you plan on staying NA or Nitrous 4.30's. A centrifugal blower, 4.10's. A Roots type, 3.73 or below.

Exhaust wise I love my Longtubes, o/r x and dumps. The LT's really woke this car up and the low to midrange power is nice and she screams at 7k.

:beer:

4camwonder

Established Member
hey man, i know your on HPJ, and you pretty local, pm me and well see if we cant get together, ill let you check out my car, since it has 4.10's youll be able to tell if you want them. better hurry though, i shoudl have 4.88's in mine by frist of november.

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
4.88s what the hell kind of gear is that? I have never heard of that. WOW. on another note. I started out with the small stuff Pro 5.0 shifter, O/R h, BBK CAI, 4.10s and then I moved to upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, Stage 2 cams, short runner intake that is ported out as well, nitrous of course, and soon i will be putting 03 mach heads on the vehicle with an 03 mach 1 intake set up that will be ported and polished along with the heads and short runner intake. but i want my car to be N/A with nitrous for now. then i will forge the engine and put a two stage on it. just my plans.

Users who are viewing this thread