Live Band in the neighborhood?

70Maverick

Established Member
OK, PLEASE don't turn this into a HOA argument. There are plenty of those that are new enough to go post in. This isn't about that. But FOR THE RECORD, we do not have an HOA which is the main reason I moved here. I will not live in a subdivision that has one. Throwing money down a hole FTL.

By code (I don't know if it's code or what since there is no HOA) but EVERY lot HAS to be at least an acre. So we aren't exactly on top of each other. I guess someone down the street is having a random party. It's an odd time of year for a graduation so IDK? Anyway, they have a live band in the backyard that kicks ass. They are doing some seriously good recent cover stuff (Lincoln Park kind of stuff) and they are good. It is LOUD and I mean LOUD. I am not mad about that. I am pretty sure it will cease at a decent time but I think it would be just courteous to stick flyers on everyone's mailbox in the vicinity that say, "hey, on this day we are having a live band, it starts X and ends X. Thanks for not calling the police." For the record, I have no intention of calling the police. Live and let live but you get the idea.

It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if it also said to stop by if you want to listen. I'm not saying "stop by and drink my beer and eat my food" but we can't help but listen if we step outside? What are your thoughts? If it is a wedding I would say obviously that is a bad idea. I don't think it is a wedding cause I know the kid that lives there (parents own the house, he is the child) goes to college and is fairly young. He has a modded 2000 GT that is pretty kick ass.

EDIT.....Just so you know, this isn't a trailer park. Homes are 2,000 - 3,500 square feet, a lot are custom homes with some plan built mixed in. Most are all brick with basements, fireplaces etc. It isn't a low rent thug/hood district by any means. Average household income is 90K the last time I looked.

Last edited:

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
that is pretty rude to have a live band and not tell anyone. I'm surprised no one has called the cops (neighbors right next to them). But if the band is good, I'd just wander on down there and say you wanted to hear some music up close

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Do you have a back porch/deck? Fix yourself a drink, kick back in a lawn chair, call a few friends over and enjoy the free jams.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
We do this a couple times a year at my and another friends house. Of course we are more out in the country and each only have a few neighbors. We personally go door to door and let them know and of course invite them.

It would be the right thing to do.

70Maverick

Established Member
that is pretty rude to have a live band and not tell anyone. I'm surprised no one has called the cops (neighbors right next to them). But if the band is good, I'd just wander on down there and say you wanted to hear some music up close

That's what I thought. I understand they paid for the whole thing but everyone else was forced to listen. You could hear it inside our house with the doors closed and we are on the next street over at the end of the block. Maybe not pick the song but clearly you could hear music. They stopped around 10:30, nobody called the law. I thought it would be rude to just bust up in there since I have never stopped by before so we just listened outside in the garage and had the Bristol WCW event, err I mean NASCAR race on with the sound turned off. I have to say though, the dog got quite a few walks last night and we carried a few cold brews with us. He was probably thinking "what the hell? Haven't we already gone around this block 4 times?"

They did some sets and then played some also kick ass CD music in between. It was cool. Just think they should have invited those in the vicinity is all. :D

tistan

Established Member
I would go to the party and drink their beer and eat their food. What are they going to do about it? If they ask you to leave, you just pick up your phone and call the police on them for disturbing the peace.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
In my town there are no noise ordinances until 10:00 PM. Daytime, all hell can break loose. It would have been nice to invite the neighbors, but not legally required here. Bet similar ordinances are in force there.

Jim

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I would go to the party and drink their beer and eat their food. What are they going to do about it? If they ask you to leave, you just pick up your phone and call the police on them for disturbing the peace.

What a good neighbor you must be...

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

I guess they could call the Police on you for criminal trespass (which could be considered aggravated trespass if you add in the theft offense) and theft of said beer and food. I'm not sure about you but I know which one I'd rather answer to.

What a good neighbor you must be...

To the OP, I agree a little heads up would be the courteous and neighborly thing to do. You could always go speak to him about it. In a non confrontational way of course. And by judging from your post here you seem able to accomplish that. No sense in starting a feud with your neighbors. Unless that is, the kid turns out to be an ass about it.

tistan

Established Member
I guess they could call the Police on you for criminal trespass (which could be considered aggravated trespass if you add in the theft offense) and theft of said beer and food. I'm not sure about you but I know which one I'd rather answer to.

The only way they can get you for criminal trespass is if you refuse to leave when you are asked to leave, or if a no trespass sign is posted. Theft of beer and food at a party, I'm sure the cops will pursue that one.

Last edited:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I invite all my neighbors to my parties, and they do they same.

Just because someone doesn't invite you doesn't mean you need to be an ass to them though. The OP has said he doesn't really know the owners of the house, so why would they invite him?

It would have been courteous of them to notify the neighbors but just because you live by someone doesn't mean you are required to invite them to get- togethers you have.

tistan

Established Member
Just because someone doesn't invite you doesn't mean you need to be an ass to them though. The OP has said he doesn't really know the owners of the house, so why would they invite him?

It would have been courteous of them to notify the neighbors but just because you live by someone doesn't mean you are required to invite them to get- togethers you have.

Because having a loud party is being an ass, so you invite all of your neighbors to avoid problems. Get to gethers and having a rock band playing full blast in your back yard are not the same things.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Because having a loud party is being an ass, so you invite all of your neighbors to avoid problems. Get to gethers and having a rock band playing full blast in your back yard are not the same things.

Obviously there wasn't a problem since they played until 10:30.

I can understand the OP's slight annoyance that he wasn't notified about it but being expected to be invited to it is a little much.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Im a drummer, and we dont tell anyone neighbors when we practice but i would invite them to a mini show as it seems there having in the backyard. And even though i didnt invite them i wouldnt mind if they came to watch.

tistan

Established Member
Im a drummer, and we dont tell anyone neighbors when we practice but i would invite them to a mini show as it seems there having in the backyard. And even though i didnt invite them i wouldnt mind if they came to watch.

My bosses step son is a drummer in a band. You could hear it pretty clear in the house. We soundproofed one side of the garage for him and his friends to practice in so the neighbors wouldn't get mad.

Users who are viewing this thread