LMAO Nice job Mercedes...

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
669-03.jpg

The new Mercedes S class has a sophisticated radar-based braking system - when it works. A TV demonstration ended up in a 3-car pile-up when the S-class' safety radar failed.

A German television channel got a bigger scoop than they bargained for when Mercedes showed up with three of their flagship vehicles - only to crash them into each other when a safety demonstration failed.

Stern TV, who filmed the programme item slates the mistake, and compares it to the nasty falling-over tendency the early A-class Mercedes had.

Embarrassing mistake
In the programme, Mercedes drives 3 S-classes behind each other. The first car hits the brakes, and the two following cars brake down automatically, to avoid a crash. In theory. In practice, the first car braked, and the two others continued right into the back of each other, resulting in a 3-car pile-up at the test site.

According to a German news site, the blushing Mercedes security engineers soon discovered the problem: The test had been done in a hall which was made of steel. This confuses the radar, and the system doesn't work properly, causing more than £150,000 worth of cars to crumple into each other.

The system "works perfectly in all other circumstances", according to Mercedes. For now, though, it may be worth keeping your foot near the brake pedal.

The programme in question is showed on German RTL Television tonight.

Link

You'd think they would've tested the cars before the press got there.

I have an idea for an anti-accident device: paying attention. Too bad you can't box it up and sell it at a ridiculous price. :rollseyes

Last edited:

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
LMFAO!!!! Those are some funny pics. I would still buy one if i had the $$$. My mom used to have one, and it was a really well built car. Not sure about the new ones though. LOL, I damn sure wouldn't buy that flying SUV thingy in the pic.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
That pic of the Mercedez was exactly what happened to my mom...right into the center divider. Luckily I wasn't in the passenger seat that day. Soon after that she sold that, she got a EB Explorer and she could control better.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
hahahaahahaha, that is too funny. Cant wait to tell my friend who just ordered one about this

DCAN87

Established Member
Thats the problem mercedes had. They are not releasing the cars until a later date because of it. I have the inside scoop at mercedes. My mom is getting a S class next year.

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
Mercedes also had a very expensive problem with non hydraulic brakes in the E class they had to recall and fix which cost them millions!

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
thats hilarious (the second pic). people are going to start thinking im crazy eventually after just hearing me burst out laughing.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Wonder how that rader would work when surrounded by tractor trailers?
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I also wonder what effect bridges, tunnels, overpasses, etc will have on the system.

SVTContique

This is just an excuse to be a lazy driver. I personally hate Mercedes, to much computer crap. I want to drive a car, not a friggen computer..

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
So, we can't turn our lights on for ourselves, they're auto now. We can't back up for ourselves, there's beepers, and even auto-park systems now. We obviously are too dumb to tell when its raining, they'res auto wipers that even vary the speed since we don't know how much it is raining.

Now, we're too damn stupid to hit the brakes. Good to know they have a really good system there.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
BWHAHAHA! It's a cool idea, but I can hit the brakes myself if needed. It seems to be good if you're on cruise and someone cuts you off though. Just look at it as an occansional helper instead of another driver.

Steeltwo

Established Member
that reminds of of the system GM made

they used three buicks with systems that would accelerate and brake. the system would follow little sensors on the road and used the radar to keep a safe distance.

however, the buick demo actually worked.

damn, maybe they'll do it with the cheap ass C230's next time.

Users who are viewing this thread