Local shop horror story. Please advise..

SparkSVT

Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a friend of our family who takes her 1998 Expedition to a local repair shop for a massive coolant leak. The shop dicks around and doesnt even begin to work on the truck for about 3 weeks. When they finally get to it they claim its the intake leaking and need to replace it. They call back some days later and say the intake wasnt leaking but it was a tube underneath the intake and its fixed but its "running rough". The shop owner says it is probably running "rough" because it had been sitting for a while and to come get it. The bill is paid (650.00) and they go get it and the truck is running like it is about to die, check engine light comes on and then starts flashing. Its making a god awful noise and sounds near death. They drop the truck back off and then the shop says they will look at it again. A few days later they put a fuel filter and one injector in it because #4 cylinder isn't right. The fule injector does not fix it and the shop claims the engine is most likely done with. This truck has been babied and has 96k on it. The shop pretty much just calls it quits on the truck. We get the truck towed out and broght to a ford dealer who says the engine is toast, and #4 cylinder has no compression. The knocking sounds like it is in the crankcase acording to the dealer.

My question is what the hell do you think the shop did to this thing? It goes in running fine but with a coolant leak. It comes out with an engine failure. I have been told everything from they leaft coolant in the cyl possibly causing a bent rod to they dropped somethingin the cyl. Can anyone think of what the hell may have happend?

I feel horrible about this because im the guy who reccomended this shop and trailered the truck there for her after her mechanic said the coolant leak was from a rear freeze plug and he didnt want the job. The whole thing is very upsetting.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Take the shop to small claims, that's about the best you can do.

Report them to any boards you can BBB, Chamber of Commerce, etc.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Stick a Lightning engine and 4R100 in. Problem solved.

Oh, wait, this is someone else's truck. They basically got ****ed. Doesn't matter if they take them to court or not, because getting them to pay will SUCK.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
If they had the intake off I would almost bet they dropped something in the engine, maybe a small socket or nut or bolt... Easy enough to do if the valve was open.

Since the engine is shot anyway, priority one for me would be getting the engine apart to find out just what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread