Locked up in 3rd today and let loose

04fivefour

04 Cobra
Established Member
Getting on the freeway today I was pulling WOT and shifted between 2nd to 3rd (letting off the gas for shifts of course) and when I let the clutch out my RPMs spiked, I heard and felt an impressive lockup and bang sound, and the rear tires locked up and kicked this sumbitch sideways on a 4 lane highway. I immediately pushed the clutch in and dropped her into neutral then into fifth just to get off the road. It ran fine all the way home and had no leaks or noises. I am 99% positive I didn't hit 1st gear, although it may be possible I am willing to admit. I am wondering if my trans may have not been fully engaged or maybe starting to die on me. My car has an MGW orange shifter and Amsoil fluid, the oil is less than 5 days old and yes I filled it correctly.

I believe you hit 1st. Its happened to me before and I was pretty embarassed of what my Cobar did. I really wasn't paying attention to my shifting though. Was day dreaming in the car. lol

04fivefour

04 Cobra
Established Member
I believe you hit 1st. Its happened to me before and I was pretty embarassed of what my Cobar did. I really wasn't paying attention to my shifting though. Was day dreaming in the car. lol

i'd have to agree with cobravortech..i've hit 1st going into 3rd before did exactly what you described

Ok I have never done that in 3 years of owning the car, really tripped me out but I am ok with that, good to know my car is good and I just made a silly mistake. I had my pal in a pesky Camaro on my butt and I must have been feelin frisky, he said it looked violent lol:rolling:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Years ago when I first started running a car at the dragstrip I had a stock TT Supra. Well the track I normally went to was cool and never made us wear a helmet. Well one time a buddy on mkiv.com wanted to meet in Atlanta and run there. Well anyone there that was 13.5 or lower had to have a helmet. I didn't ride bikes so I had never done anything with a helmet on. Dude it screwed me all up. Just past the 1/8 mile I shift from 3rd to....2nd.

What happened on that day sounds exactly what you describe. My backend was all over the place and I just pushed the clutch in as a reaction and everything was cool.

mach1033

Established Member
If you were to shift from 3rd to 2nd during a WOT run wouldnt the motor have spun some bearings considering the rpms would have gone through the roof? AT WOT in 3rd depending what gear you have is around 110 mph at 6500rpm.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
If you were to shift from 3rd to 2nd during a WOT run wouldnt the motor have spun some bearings considering the rpms would have gone through the roof? AT WOT in 3rd depending what gear you have is around 110 mph at 6500rpm.

No spun bearings or damage. Basically it was like slamming on the ebrake. The engine rpms could not go high enough to support the rate of speed that the wheels were travelling. So the tires just broke traction completely. I heard the revlimiter and I quickly pushed the clutch in. I'm sure the initial shock to the engine overreved it but all was ok.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
No spun bearings or damage. Basically it was like slamming on the ebrake. The engine rpms could not go high enough to support the rate of speed that the wheels were travelling. So the tires just broke traction completely. I heard the revlimiter and I quickly pushed the clutch in. I'm sure the initial shock to the engine overreved it but all was ok.

I'm surprised that it would even go into 2nd at that speed. Glad everything is good though.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
My first 2nd to first shift happened this year after owning it for 5. I was not getting on it hard, but it still broke loose (morning on ramp) for a sec and made me take notice. Hope you didn't break anything.

Users who are viewing this thread