locking gas cap

dc2r

Established Member
having trouble searching for info (search option says too short).

how many of you out there have a locking gas cap?

i've been running without one all this time thinking no one will steal gas from me.

but this morning, my colleague came to work late, saying someone had poured sugar into his fuel tank on friday at work (his car was towed to the dealer where they pulled the electric pump out of the tank and found the filter sock completely clogged up. they still aren't done fixing it as i type this on monday). just now there was an announcement from building management saying that a number of other employees have reported the same thing happening to their cars as well and they were all parked in the same area. thankfully that day i had parked on a different level in the parkade.

now that the paranoia is setting in, i need to find a locking gas cap for my 2011. the only locking fuel cap i know of is the one ford sells, but a search on google raised a lot of complaints from people saying the key lock puts up a fight so getting the cap on and off is a bitch.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/locking-gas-cap-2010-2013/p/GCL1/

GCL1.jpg

are there any aftermarket options available or is this pretty much it?

(if anyone from ford is out there... how expensive can it be to give us a locking fuel door?!? and don't get me started about the missing dead pedal, or folding side mirrors, etc... )

Last edited:

sloppymax

Established Member
I use the Ford one without any issues. I keep a key in the car and one on the key chain. I just put it in my pocket during fill up.

acrbill

Established Member
Just put a giant rubber cockroach behind the fuel door. Opens door sees giant creature... Screams and runs away. LOL

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Why use a locking cap? It's hard enough for you to get the "gate" to open unless you are using a gas nozzle or the special funnel to open it. It would take long enough to get it open to deter someone from getting the fuel. Save the money for something else.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Also, how many people that had their tanks tampered with have a standard cap system that a normal funnel will work with? My guess is going to say all of them.

dc2r

Established Member
Why use a locking cap? It's hard enough for you to get the "gate" to open unless you are using a gas nozzle or the special funnel to open it. It would take long enough to get it open to deter someone from getting the fuel. Save the money for something else.

as mentioned in my OP, my concern is less about having fuel siphoned and more about vandals pouring stuff in.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
as mentioned in my OP, my concern is less about having fuel siphoned and more about vandals pouring stuff in.
Read the post right after my first one.

Same theory applies though. You have to get the "gate" open to begin with either way.

dc2r

Established Member
i don't know the brands of all the cars that were hit (so far there have been 7). my colleague drives an older ford focus. i don't know what kind of fuel door system they use in that.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
i don't know the brands of all the cars that were hit (so far there have been 7). my colleague drives an older ford focus. i don't know what kind of fuel door system they use in that.
More than likely they were the old standard style. If you've tried to open put some fuel additive or cleaner in your tank without the special funnel, you will see that it's a complete pain in the ass to get it open...and you never will.

86merc

Established Member
It is simple to get a funnel into these. I have used 3 different funnels on my car. You just have to use a long style funnel. The locking gas cap is cheap insurance for theft or tamper.

86merc

Established Member
More than likely they were the old standard style. If you've tried to open put some fuel additive or cleaner in your tank without the special funnel, you will see that it's a complete pain in the ass to get it open...and you never will.

There is nothing "special" about the funnel the car comes with. Other than it fits the hole and is minimal to save space in your trunk. Plenty of other funnels fit in there.

dc2r

Established Member

confused. the only additive i've used is techron fuel system cleaner that you buy at the chevron gas station. i've never had to use a funnel to pour straight from the bottle. i just shove it in and the bottle drains in...?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
confused. the only additive i've used is techron fuel system cleaner that you buy at the chevron gas station. i've never had to use a funnel to pour straight from the bottle. i just shove it in and the bottle drains in...?
Do 2011 and 2012 cars not have the capless fuel system? My 2013 requires a special funnel that is found in the trunk, except when using the fuel nozzle, in order to pour anything into the tank.

dc2r

Established Member
Do 2011 and 2012 cars not have the capless fuel system? My 2013 requires a special funnel that is found in the trunk, except when using the fuel nozzle, in order to pour anything into the tank.

yes i have a little white funnel that i have stuffed with the air compressor/tire sealant in the trunk... i've never used it.:shrug:

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member

yes we have them too. Its easy to get around. Theres nothing sophisticated about the factory funnel we have in the trunk so dont expect anything special needed to get in. It was simply made because ford got tired of cars coming in with a check engine light due to the owner not tightening the fuel cap...(from all the stories i heard at least as well as the dealer)

Rule of thumb, when someone wants to **** with you, theyll find a way. This is cheap insurance to make it a little harder for them. Just like with car alarms. If they want it, theyll take it....at least make them work harder for it :fm:

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
That was actually the first purchase I made for the car. I just don't like the fact that it's unsecured. It's not hard to procure a funnel that will get in there just fine. It's really cheap insurance and peace of mind, as stated already.

Users who are viewing this thread