Long shot- but anyone own an ATM route?

cobra199711

Established Member
A very good friend is looking at purchasing an existing route, approx 10 units. The seller makes it sound like a pretty nice deal? Working approx 1 day a week and bringing in some decent income. Thanks to anyone who has any info on this.

2012GTCS

Established Member
what does it involve? stocking ATMs with money? I would think that would go to the armored carriers. Especially with the risk involved and insurance would probably want some type of preventative measures in place

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
what does it involve? stocking ATMs with money? I would think that would go to the armored carriers. Especially with the risk involved and insurance would probably want some type of preventative measures in place

The smaller ATM's around my area (bars, gas stations) I usually see only one person come and stock it and perform any maintenance it may need. The times I have seen this they are always have gun on their side though.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
The smaller ATM's around my area (bars, gas stations) I usually see only one person come and stock it and perform any maintenance it may need. The times I have seen this they are always have gun on their side though.

Same here. I know the bigger units that you would find in a bank, at a major shopping mall or something like that can hold up to 30k. The really small ones like in a bar or small gas station/convience store hold a couple thou. The smaller ones are typically stocked by the proprieter or a company like we're discussing here. I'm curious how it works too and what the take is considering the store owner gets a cut too.

Would he own the machines and stock/maintain them? Or is it the store owner owns it? Or a 3rd company and he stocks them? I'm curious about how the profits are divided up. It'd be a nice side gig.

SS EATR

Established Member
I know a guy who does it, basically he bought machines and put his own money in them and makes the profit off the surcharges. The way he talks its a good investment. Will he own the machines or rent them?

cobra199711

Established Member
He will own the machines, it appears he will also be stocking them but may use an armored service. Ill let u know how it goes, I believe the route is making about 200 per month on each or so, but this has not been verified, not bad side cash.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
So say he gets 5 machines. Works for 3 hours on a Sunday in the morning when there is less traffic and fewer people to get in his way. Thats a nice chunk of change each month. What state is this in? I know MD he would be paying hell to get a CCW permit.

EDIT: I was also wondering if these guys get insurance on them in case some redneck decides to hook one to a pickup and bury it in his back yard after he empties the green stuff out of it.

Last edited:

2012GTCS

Established Member
How would you start this up from scratch? Buy machines and try to get people to put them in their stores?

G04cobra

Established Member
How would you start this up from scratch? Buy machines and try to get people to put them in their stores?

I'd say look at small mom n pop/ cash only stores. They typically don't wanna pay a credit card processor any fees that may cut into their margins. The way I see it you have the leverage to negotiate with business owners IF they are a cash based business as you are providing a convenience to their potential customers. JMO.

tistan

Established Member

You probably can't startup from scratch anymore. Can you think of any place you go shopping that doesn't already have a convenient ATM? I was thinking the same thing when I first read this thread, but then I got to thinking about where I could put them where they don't already exist and I came up empty. ATM's are everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread