Long term Reliability of 11-12 Shelby... Extended warranty and maintenance?

Krn737

Proud To Serve
Established Member
Hello,

I have a 2012 GT500 and the end of its 3/36 is coming up in January. It is my daily driver so I want to make sure that it is reliable and if something does go wrong that it is covered. I also don't know how long my clutch is going to last. As a result I'm looking at getting the extended premium ESP through Floodfordesp.com as well as a premium maintenance that includes: clutch, brake pads, windshield wipers, oil changes and all scheduled/recommended maintenance. I know some people say to just take that money and put it in a savings account instead.

How many miles do people so far have on these? Any major issues that have come up?

I want to get a VMP TVS and up the power conservatively to around 600rwhp however I want to try and not void my warranty. The TVS is advertised as being able to be installed and removed within a couple hours in the garage. I could always flash it back to stock and put my stock supercharger on and all should be fine. BUT, I've read many many forums that state that ford could still tell that that it was tuned. My concern is if I get the extended maintenance that includes the clutch will they void that and say that it wasn't "normal" use? What about if i up the power with a TVS and the transmission starts go grind?

Regardless it's hot where I live and after one or two short runs it loses a lot of power. Upgrading the heat exchanger would help drastically.

Thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
If you are dead set on getting an extended warranty make sure you read all the fine print. Usually a clutch isnt covered but because of the history of these cars it might be considered. I've had my 2011 for almost 3 years now and it has 28k on the clock. I've done plenty of modding and also changed my clutch because the stock unit could not keep up once i installed the VMP TVS. Also, if ford can prove you have put on a power adder and the clutch failed then you will be coming out of pocket for the replacement. If you are going to keep it a DD the best thing you can do other than a warranty would be to stay on top of your scheduled maintenance and constantly inspect the car for any defects. I change my oil and plugs every 2500 miles, transmission and diff fluids every 10K miles, and my suspension components get inspected/lubed every 5k miles. So far ive had zero issues with parts going bad or failing because of a defect. The only thing that ive had to change that wasnt for modding purposes was the battery but after 3 years of Las Vegas heat it was to be expected. As for the heat exchanger i can say that its probably one of the best mods you can do to set yourself up for a TVS, i was amazed at how much stronger the car felt after i installed mine. I never realized how much these cars got heat soaked. Lastly, if you are concerned with the transmission grind get yourself a MGW or Barton shifter, i had issues wtih the grind and now they are gone after i installed my MGW. There is also a new Gen 2 version out that suppose to be even better.

barspen

Established Member
Totally agree with Red-GT500. I have a 2011 DD, 52,000 miles, live in a hot climate and do most of the preventive maintenance on my own. I have the extended warrantee from when I bought the car. Only item I had to use use it for was the satellite antenna and battery. Keep in mind they may charge you $100 deductible for anything they touch after the 3 year factory warrantee is up. And as mentioned above, when you mod anything and they can tie the problem back to the mod, in any way, you will likely be out of luck.

What bugs me about the Ford pre-paid maintenance is the lack of flexibility. My cabin air filter needed changing at 46,000 miles, but they said it wasn't due until after 48,000 (kinda fudging the exact numbers). I spent $11 bucks and did the job myself, but was baffled why they couldn't have been more flexible on an $11 filter that needed changing. What I like is the being able to get a quick oil change that I already paid for....that's about it.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
My 2011 has 74k on the clock and no major issues to report...

New brakes at around 50k, new clutch at 65k(est.), new tires way too often, etc...

I do most of my basic maintenance (or have a mechanic I trust do it) and took it to Ford @ 50k for coolant system service, diff service, etc...

Mine is pretty mildly modified (started adding parts around 40k):
-SW full exhaust
-VMP Pulley and tune
-Heat Exchanger (& bigger reservoir)
-Thermostat
-RXT Clutch

Will eventually do the Gen 2 TVS as well and then probably be content with it....

They are robust cars if taken care of...

IMO the extended warranties (especially if you have modification plans) and service plans from Ford are a waste of money....

When I had my Infiniti their service plans and extended warranties were a thing of beauty...No haggles, no hassles, etc...head unit froze in the car one time...I mentioned it on my next service...replaced no questions; exhaust developed a slight rattle cold...replaced no problems; window would occassionally not want to go auto up...replaced no questions

Service just as easy...fog light buld went out, didn't even ask me just replaced it under the extended service plan, handed me the keys to a loaner every time I walked in...Always no hassles or fuss...just done and done right....

My experience with Ford on prior vehicles...not so much....

Kenneth

Established Member
Another higher milage 2011. 47K miles

Added pulley/tune before doing first oil change.
Only issue I ever had with the car was when I first bought it I had the high speed fan go out on me.
Added the VMP TVS along with supporting mods roughly around 30K miles ago and been running great ever since with 700rwhp.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Mods n warranty are two words that don't go together. That being said almost 4 years with mine and no issues, with what these cars cost you should be fine buying a 500-1k part every few years. Most won't be covered under warranty like tires, brakes, clutch etc.

nxhappy

Established Member
if you do any mods of ANY kind, you will void your contract. Skip the warranty, save the money and do the work yourself :)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
As a prospective owner myself, how do the rear ends hold up? Is the ecm a robust unit as well?

Krn737

Proud To Serve
Established Member
The Premium Warranty goes out around 8yr/125k from original in service date and is around 2500 with a 0 deductible
The Premium MAINTENANCE goes out around 7yr/125k from original in service date and is 1800 for 7500mile intervals which is the "recommended" numbers

4300 is a substantial amount of money. That's nearly the price of a TVS VMP 800hp kit!

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I can change my oil, sparkplugs, install a TVS Kit, etc. I just haven't done any of this on my car since I haven't owned it that long yet. On my 04 Lightning I used to change the oil religiously at 4000 miles.

Do you have a lift to allow you to inspect and lube underneith the car or do you use jack stands? What is the price out of pocket for an oil filter and oil? do you use Motorcraft? I've always used Royal Purple...

I guess if I continue upgrading parts to performance ones then I won't have to worry about doing maintenance on those items:banana: such as LCAs, Panhard bar, driveshaft, etc.

I just don't want my navigation to go out or for a window motor to shit the bed or door locks or my A/C system or something and be out a lot of money.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I do mine myself on a buddy's lift. Swing by the dealer and get the oil, filter(s), etc. and take care of it on my way home from work...

Would be a PITA without access to the lift but still do-able...

Now for things like coolant flushes, tranny service, diff service, alignments, etc. I take it to the dealer...I do those about every 50k except the alignments (usually about every 10-15k on those)...

but all the basic stuff I handle myself except when I'm swamped for time and then I let my buddy handle it (he builds race cars though and his work is border line art so I implicitly trust him with mine. Plus I've never seen him not treat a customer's car as if it were his own pride and joy...)

Last edited:

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
So do you still take your cars in for the recommended/scheduled maintenance? or just do it yourselves?
Hello Krn737,

The maintenance requirements are the same as for the new-vehicle limited warranty per your warranty guide, warranty coverage is limited to defects occurring under normal use of the vehicle during the warranty period. The warranty can be voided if the vehicle is misused or improperly maintained.

Here’s the info from page 2:
MAINTAIN YOUR VEHICLE PROPERLY
Your glove compartment contains an Owner’s Manual which indicates the scheduled maintenance required for your vehicle. Proper maintenance guards against major repair expenses resulting from neglect or inadequate maintenance may help increase the value you receive when you sell or trade your vehicle, and is important in allowing your vehicle to comply with applicable emissions standards.
It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Owner’s Manual will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in your Owner’s Manual.
Your Ford or Lincoln dealership, or Ford or Lincoln Auto Care Service Center, has factory-trained technicians who can perform the required maintenance using genuine Ford parts. The dealership looks forward to meeting your every service need to maximize your satisfaction with your vehicle.

Also, here’s more on this on page 31:
PROPER MAINTENANCE PRESERVES YOUR WARRANTY
If you do not maintain your vehicle properly, Ford may have the right to deny you warranty coverage.

To have repairs made under this warranty, you may have to show that you have followed Ford’s instructions on properly maintaining and using your vehicle. You will find these instructions in your Owner’s Manual.
Be sure to save your service receipts and to keep accurate records of all maintenance work.

If your dealer has determined that due to the lack of oil and service records (which would prove maintenance), this failure did not occur due to a factory defect. I support the decision of your dealership who has inspected your vehicle and reviewed your case. You will be responsible for all costs associated with this issue.

Deysha

Last edited:

slowbra1

Established Member
Hello Krn737,

Your dealer has determined that due to the lack of oil and service records (which would prove maintenance), this failure did not occur due to a factory defect. I support the decision of your dealership who has inspected your vehicle and reviewed your case. You will be responsible for all costs associated with this issue.

Deysha

Well there you have it.

Krn737

Proud To Serve
Established Member
Well,

I wasn't saying that I wouldn't get an oil change or wouldn't do scheduled maintenance I was simply asking about modding without voiding my warranty and whether it was worth it to get the extended warranty and the extended premium Maintenance package. I don't want to spend 4k on both of those total and then decide to do a pulley and tune and then void my warranty and have wasted the 4k on warranties that are then voided.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Well,

I wasn't saying that I wouldn't get an oil change or wouldn't do scheduled maintenance I was simply asking about modding without voiding my warranty and whether it was worth it to get the extended warranty and the extended premium Maintenance package. I don't want to spend 4k on both of those total and then decide to do a pulley and tune and then void my warranty and have wasted the 4k on warranties that are then voided.

The short answer, save your money for mods because your already on the forum which will make you want to add power even more.

que4dog

Established Member
Extended Warranty is never worth it in my opinion. If you did not have the problem with the issue during your regular warranty period it is most likely not defective and they will most likely find that it is not covered.

pbaur

Hi,

I have a 2012 GT500 with 80K. It's my DD in Wisconsin. No mods. I did buy Ford's premium ESP. Supercharger and one of the heads have been replaced - I think under the original warranty. It's been out of commission 165 days now, waiting for a replacement engine (I think a bearing failed), so ESP will cover this. My understanding is there are two other backorders for engines (long and short block) in the system, so they're rebuilding mine rather than replacing the whole long block.

Best regards,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread