Long Tubes in California?

Strungoutt

Established Member
I was wondering if it would be worth it to install a set of Kooks Longtube headers on my 03. I still can't decide if its worth the hasle, so let me know. Thanks

Last edited:

nrmustang

Established Member
I would have to say no, dont do it.

I live in Fresno and because they are such a pain in the butt to install/remove when it comes time to smog it you'll wish you hadn't done it.

Theres a guy here in the area that did the install and now cant even sell his car because it turns so many people away.

I know because I thought about buying his car before I found out he had the longtubes.

If you dont already have an X-pipe, I'd say go for that. Its much, much easier to R&R when it comes smog time. And youd be surprised at the increase you get from just that mod in the sound/power area.

03Cobra/C5Killr

"Pin it to Win it."
Established Member
I'm in the Bay Area too dude, and even though the sound and performance of long tubes is second to none I went with the O/R X-pipe for the same reason nrmustang said. I hate changing the mid pipe for warranty work as it is. I could'nt imagine doing that with headers, that is unless you got the hook-up on smog. I also heard long tubes + lowered car = lots of scraping and/or carefull driving.

Rated///M

Established Member
I know someone in the Bay Area that can hook you up with smog. I am near Walnut Creek. PM me if you guy wants to meet up.

Rated///M

Established Member
Strungoutt said:
Haha wow. I live in Danville... Well that is where my car is, and my hometown. Right now im living at Davis going to UCD.

I also have a potential smog hookup, one of my old friends is possibly getting another smog job. But if you know someone that can help... That would be pretty great.

That was my other option. Just doing like a bassani X pipe to the Magnaflow i have right now. But i just thought Kooks Longtubes + Kooks X would sound... well great. I dont drive it very often, mostly in the summer.

Definetely go with the Kooks longtubes+ and some sort of off road x pipe. The car will be loud and mean.

nrmustang

Established Member
03Cobra/C5Killr said:
........ I hate changing the mid pipe for warranty work as it is............

Thats another good reason not to swap out for longtubes, unless of course your warranty has expired or you dont care about voiding your warranty (if you have an extended warranty that the dealer voids due to mods- you dont get your money back)

I have a shimmy in the steering wheel right now that I WANT to take the car in for, but I dont have the time to yank the X-pipe right now, and I sure dont look forward to rollin' around on the floor later to put it back in.

If you do have an extended warranty, and are bent on doing a warranty voiding mod that cannot easily be swapped back to stock, cancel your warranty and use the money for more mods!:idea:

DisposableHero

Established Member
just fyi i smogged in los angeles here with my catted prochamber and stingers and passed no problem with some better results than the state average lol

im sure if you go to one of those hispanic smog places that dont really care as much as some large smog check operation then you shouldnt have a problem, even with LT's as long as you're catted

Bullitt4110

Established Member
I was going to do LT's also but the cops have been cracking down a lot. I already had my car searched once for illegal parts. If you want O/R you should get a O/R X and weld some cat housings on to make it look like there is cats.

HHSSSSS

Established Member
i'm from walnut creek, do you have a contact # for this person/shop so i can keep it just in case.

Rated///M said:
Definetely go with the Kooks longtubes+ and some sort of off road x pipe. The car will be loud and mean.

Users who are viewing this thread