long tubes w/ offroad ya or nay???

9900blueoval

Established Member
On an apten car w/ 2.8 is it worth the time and dough to do the longtube headers and offroad or just keep my offroad and c.bck setup alone??Also is the sound difference extreme,andis a retune needed w/ L.tubes??Thanx Dan

Silver 03 Cobra

Yes, they are worth it even if you don'tplan on increasing any more power. People often make the mistake at looking at only peak gains. But, if you look at net gains or area under the curve, they are worth it. You may not pick up 8-15 rwhp peak but you may have gains as high as 40 rwhp at lower rpm's. A lot of people that say they are not are just pacifying themselves because they are afraid of the cost or aggravation to install them. Two 03 Cobras with equal mods with the exception one is running LT's to the other's stock manifolds, the LT Cobra will be faster. I'm in the process of swapping out my JBA's for Kook's in the next few days. Right now I'm at 18 psi. But, this winter I'm building my own 125 wet shot with it's own fuel system including an electric pump, pressure regulator, filter and fuel tank. I'm going to throw as much as I can till it gives up.

Sound? An 03 with LT's and an o/r exhaust is loud. People will hear you coming when you get on it. AT normal driving, it's not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
Sound? An 03 with LT's and an o/r exhaust is loud. People will hear you coming when you get on it. AT normal driving, it's not too bad.
Yup, whenever you get on it everyone will know what you're up to. Crusing its fairly docile.....at Idle its almost dead silent.

And I agree....its very worth it.:beer:

grnenvy

Established Member
hmm

I don't think they will hurt your car any. I have stock maniflods and my car runs in the tens so just ask yourself if there needed. I think you should maximise your combo then decide.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Go to www.kennebell.net Jim swears up and down there is little or nothing to be gained with headers...certainly not for what you spend. And he has the tests to prove it. You have to hit 700 hp to see any real benefit. I believe MM & FF found the same thing. Jim does believe there could be some hp in getting rid of the cats...which most people do when they put on LT's. That's where you're seeing the gains. I would be VERY interested in seeing someone do some dyno work on a 500 hp or less Cobra with stock exhaust other than maybe the cat back. Then put an off road mid pipe on the stock manifolds. Then put on LT's. I think that's what Jim Bell is trying to tell us in his testing.

Users who are viewing this thread