Long tubes

mcafferty

Established Member
I almost have my long tubes installed. should be done this weekend any idea of what to expect on the dyno next week? I am getting it retuned. I am not expecting huge #s but would like to see something in the mid range. I went with the OBX ones. Thanks

mcafferty

Established Member
how come i have been reading about people saying you will lose tq with long tubes and you will lose performance? Maybe i just dont understand it. does anyone have any info on this. thanks.

Mondo1

Established Member
Somewhat true.Peak tq will increase slightly although you will experience the "take from Peter to give to Paul" syndrome , where low rpm tq will suffer ever so slightly, total Tq gain will be more in the midrange on up ( based on his current mods) The consensus is that the smaller the tube diameter on any exhaust, the more tq is produced at a lower rpm. Long tubes can get away with a larger diameter & still provide good tq, due to the consistant diameter length. Horsepower will not be as noticable, unless heads , cams and increased boost join the team. Even then, torque will increase respectivley.

Last edited:

Mondo1

Established Member
I now that I have read that long tubes help with low end. Were shortys are mostly top end.

Thats true with a N/A engine with the same tube diameter as stock. Generally,the larger you go with tube diameter , the more that Tq increase moves up the rpm range.

Mondo1

Established Member
Yea, Like a lot of guys here I dumped a lot of cash w my long tubes. With my 8 lbs, agressive tune and ported blower I can say that that I do feel a difference throughout the power band. i needed the added boost for the port job and headers. that solved my low end rpm tq tremendously. One thing I did notice is a drop in boost when I added the long tubes.... and that was before the blower porting!

Users who are viewing this thread