Longer bolt for balancer install?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
From what I have read, it requires a longer bolt to use as a tool for installing a harmonic balancer, stock, IW, ATI, etc.

Is this true? and if so, does anyone have one that they have used and no longer need? or have a link to a place I can buy one?

Thanks, Robert

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
You do not need a longer bolt for the stock balancer. I believe you do need one to get an OD Balancer started.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
M12x1.5x100 is the bolt that you want to get it started its just a little longer compared to the stock M12x1.5x85 bolt that I'm sending with your damper on Monday. I'm sure you could just source it locally.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I know what you are talking about. I just picked mine up from Napa. Unfortunately I threw it away after I was done using it. Otherwise I'd let you have it. It makes the install process so much easier. I think Justin put the specs of the bolt in his thread showing the install of the 10% lower. HTH! Good luck!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I know what you are talking about. I just picked mine up from Napa. Unfortunately I threw it away after I was done using it. Otherwise I'd let you have it. It makes the install process so much easier. I think Justin put the specs of the bolt in his thread showing the install of the 10% lower. HTH! Good luck!

Ok, thanks.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
M12x1.5x100 is the bolt that you want to get it started its just a little longer compared to the stock M12x1.5x85 bolt that I'm sending with your damper on Monday. I'm sure you could just source it locally.

Thanks for the size info. <<That helps to find it without first having to research it.

R

Coonsnake

Established Member
I would use a proper install tool and not try pulling it in with a bolt, take a good chance of pulling threads or break bolt off in the crank. If using an ATI damper i would double check the depth of the bolt in the crank as well, i've seen several people use a bolt just a hair to long and not getting the proper tq to hold the balancer on. Here is a link to a nice install/removal tool: http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-4531.html

Good luck!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I would use a proper install tool and not try pulling it in with a bolt, take a good chance of pulling threads or break bolt off in the crank. If using an ATI damper i would double check the depth of the bolt in the crank as well, i've seen several people use a bolt just a hair to long and not getting the proper tq to hold the balancer on. Here is a link to a nice install/removal tool: http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-4531.html

Good luck!

^^^^I do like that, and I don't mind spending the $$$ for that tool, but is there room to use it "in the car". I know that is nice for an engine on the floor, or on a stand, but does it fit for an "in the car" install?

R

Coonsnake

Established Member
It will work with the motor in the car, all you will need to remove is the electric fan. FWIW you really want the pulley to press on tight as possible. I know a lot of people have probly used just a bolt to press it on OCD as I am i do not want to take any chances

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I know a lot of people have probly used just a bolt to press it on OCD as I am i do not want to take any chances

Correct, it is critical that it be fully seated, with the oil pan off it is easy to tell because not only can you see it, you can try to wiggle the trigger wheel to confirm it. With the pan on it is more difficult, strpping th threads is not common so do not be afraid to use the proper torque, engine oil on the snout, bolt and washer will also aid in it going back on correctly.

Best of luck!

MMR

Users who are viewing this thread