Longtubes vs offroad mid

Smjx

So I know i'm probably beating a dead horse, I couldn't find any of the specific info that I was looking for though. From an offroad x to longtubes offroad x, what is the HP gains, roughly maybe 10-15 at most? Is this even worth essentially, car is a daily, and I won't have enough money for boost until the end of college(3-4 more years). I Got a set of SP longtubes off of ebay for 200$, bad thing being I didn't get the mid pipe or connection pipes. I did find a 3 inch ARH x, which I got pretty cheap, and now I just need to come up with a set of legs, or the correct mid. I currently do have a pypes 3 inch x, so my question being am I better off just selling the X and the longtubes, and putting my money towards something like a driveshaft? Or just find a set of legs and run it?

noldevin

Established Member
SP meaning stainless power? If so I'd say they're worth throwing in.
Longtubes are about 10-15 at peak, but you gain a bunch in the low end too. I definitely felt the difference.
They will also help quite a bit with any other mods you do in the future, whether it's an intake manifold or boost. The only reason I'd say don't bother is if you're planning on a turbo build.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Defiantly do the long tubes. Like said above they help with future mods. You gain all throughout the rpm band also. Plus they sound badass haha

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

96gt02

Established Member
I will go against the grain here and say they are not worth the hassle unless your installing them yourself, the install will likely cost you more than the parts and you are correct about the gains over a O/R mid.

Smjx

Spoke to vendors this morning, matching mid and connection pipes cost about 600$. I can install myself, or I have to just run open headers and drive to an exhaust shop and have them make me the legs. I never understood why these cars are so all over the place. Some people say longtubes are a waste and others get 25+ hp, some people get 5. Doesn't make any sense to me.

noldevin

Established Member
You could probably have an exhaust shop slap together a mid pipe for less if you wanted. I wouldn't run open headers, it's stupid loud and the o2 sensor is usually too close to the end of the pipe.

You see varying reports because people are naive and inconsistent. Half of them report gains with other mods or a tune, some report the gains of JUST the headers, each person reporting probably has varying amounts of other mods, there's a wide range of headers available from $250 (new) ebay headers to $1600 kooks, etc.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
It is questionable on the results, but, I personally think they are worth it.

My mods were Ported CJ, O/R H, SCJ TB, Borla's, Custom intake, AED Tune, clutch line. Made 420/376 on bad 93 octane. Same dyno when I bought my headers, Kooks 1-3/4:" w/3" O/R H.

Similar weather, after the headers, car made 443/388, no change in timing, added a couple of gallons of 100 to see if the knock I had went away (it did not completely).

I spent about $$1,800 or so installed for Brand new Kooks W/3" SS O/R H-Pipe.

Again, only mod that changed was adding Headers and a Kooks O/R H.

Dynocom used, calibrated, SAE, Smoothing 5.

noldevin

Established Member
Don't do shorties. The gains are not worth the money and/or effort to install them when you could just install longtubes.
The one exception being if you're going to do a turbo kit that bolts up to the stock headers.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Who tuned the car?

SAE or STD numbers, smoothing factor, etc?

How much torque did the car make?

I've not seen very many Shorty header cars with CJ's or Boss manifolds make over 430 RWHP without being tuned on a generous dyno.

This is the reason I'm asking.

96gt02

Established Member
Dynocom's (although they are extremely consistent) run pretty low compared to most dynos in my experience, at least 5% lower id say, so with your original setup without the LTs you would have been right around 450 on a dynojet. Which from what Ive seen on here is pretty accurate to others with the same mods and then those with LTs seem to be closer to the 470 range.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Who tuned the car?

SAE or STD numbers, smoothing factor, etc?

How much torque did the car make?

I've not seen very many Shorty header cars with CJ's or Boss manifolds make over 430 RWHP without being tuned on a generous dyno.

This is the reason I'm asking.
I don't have the graph in my phone. Have to pull it out when I get home.

Bill Messer at AEM, here in AZ tuned it. 91 octane, mustang dyno.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread