Longtubes worth it for 96-98 Cobra?

cheesySLOBRA

Established Member
Hey guys, i was just wondering if Longtubes for my 98 cobra is worth it? Are the gains high or what?...If so what brand do you recommend, i have heard things about MAC sucking something back up into the motor messing it up so i dont really want those haha. Also i would have a performance shop do it for me at a rate of $80 per hour, what should labor cost me???

THANKS

bumsoil

Established Member
I want long tubes, but it is too much money for something g that will be more of a hassle then anything.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Longtubes are a mod that if you don't have the knowledge, tools, or space to do it yourself, you'll probably find it a bigger headache than payoff. Now if money isn't all that big of a concern to you, by all means snatch up a pair of 1-3/4" longtubes and pay a shop for about five hours worth of labor (even if it truly does take them less). Bottom line: They're gonna be a pain for anybody to install, unless the engine is out, so expect to really pay five or so hours worth of labor even if they complete it in 30 minutes (which is unlikely, next to impossible).

And since I don't feel like the 10-20rwhp they'll provide is monumental enough, I'm buying the 1-5/8" longtubes for a stout $500 less new (and will still probably gain 10-15rwhp). But the only reason I'm getting them at all is because I have a bottom end knock and am having to pull the engine out anyway, otherwise I'd probably never get them.

Last edited:

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
well what is a good price for some good long tube headers i have much more time than money .so if i can aford them then why not ,but on the other hand if they are prone to leak then mabey not

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've never heard anything like that, provided they're installed correctly.

Usually NEW 1-3/4" longtubes go for $900-1,000+. The insignificantly smaller 1-5/8" longtubes go for $350-500 NEW. Shop labor varies by shop and reputation.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I'd really like to start saving for a set too. I'll definitely have a shop install them but with all the stories ive read about the process, i would've thought it would take alot more than 5 hours. But I've read that you have to unbolt the passenger side longtube to work on or remove the transmission. That's a hassle I don't need and the only long tubes I've read that don't require that are the ~$900 Hooker Super Competition long tubes.

Expurple

Established Member
FYI, the problem with MAC headers was that the inner coating was peeling off and being sucked back in the engine via the EGR tubing.

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
Its really not that hard to do as long as you have the tools and some time. FYI, with bbk headers, you have to unbolt the passenger side header to remove trans. Bit of advice....if you go with headers, you might want to think about a clutch,PP,TO bearing replacement while you're there. I put my headers on and about a year later, my TO bearing failed and had to pull everything apart again.

cheesySLOBRA

Established Member
Well i was thinking if i do them they would be bassani mid-length headers so you dont have to worry about taking it all apart to change a clutch or something

epracmetcon

Established Member
It is worth it for the exhaust note alone. It's not really hard, just time consuming. If you have basic hand tools and some common sense. It's do able in a weekend.

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
how do mids compare to long tubes ? what do the blown cobras come with stock?the same maifoilds as 96-up

Kiohtee

Established Member
Shorties IMO, aren't worth the money or hassle. And the Terminators have manifolds stock too.

97cobra...

Established Member
I had my installed I love the sound and the proformance gain is noticable, but its one of those thing I ever want to do it looked like a pita

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If anything, long tubes quiet the exhaust. I say this because everyone I've intalled them on got quieter.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
^^^^^^^^^ My car go noticeably quieter. I probably would not do them again. Had them on there a 1000 miles (all i drove it this summer) and the clutch started slipping so I am in the process of putting a new clutch in right now and it has made it considerably more difficult.

Although I was able to get the clutch and flywheel out without pulling the k member or the passenger side header. The trans is still trapped under the car by the headers but it is back far enough to get the clutch out thankfully. (I have the BBKs)

downsides are ...
quieter
more heat through the floor
harder to work on
couldnt really feel a difference by seat of pants

Positives are...
local people think you are something special having longtubes and you are a badass wizard for doing the work yourself

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I'd like to reiterate ZD302GT's comment about the heat. I have BBK headers and they really do produce a lot of heat. Especially during the summer.

But, I could tell a difference before and after with the long tubes. Both seat of the pants and confirmed via timeslips and "private test tracks"

Users who are viewing this thread