Longtubes?

1slosvt

Established Member
Anyone ever install them? Alot of what I've read say you have to drop the k-member and I really don't want to. Obviously I will if I have to but if I can I get around it that would be great.

Thanks, Michael

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
i've installed my short tubes, and yeah i dropped the K-member. Make sure the engine is supported before you do...

Trust me, drop the K-member its MUCH easier. Its really the only way to go about doing it. Your entire front suspension will be on the floor =)

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
nwc0hh.jpg

(my K-member on the floor....yeah dont lose track of all those nuts and bolts) :)

nwc22w.jpg

(my car with the K-member and front suspension removed)

nwc2z5.jpg

(Driver Side -- picture of all the room you will have to work with once the K-member is out) MUCH BETTER =)

1slosvt

Established Member
LOL. Good thing the cobra's not my daily! Maybe I'll just go ahead and get all tubular stuff when I take it apart..... Thanks for the pics. BTW what did you use to support your engine?

Wrench

Established Member
That's a great write up. I have doen this more then once now, and taing my time it is a 6 or 7 hour job. I have done it in 4.5 hours. So a rookie wrencher can get it done in under 10. If you follow that write up you will not have any problems. It is much easier to drop the k then to try and raise the motor and work around it.

99ShinodaCobra

Established Member
dropping the k-member is easy... gravity works.... the bad thing is getting it back in place.... make sure you have 1 person on each side of the car to steady it on the floor jack, and another person in front as the jackman....

1slosvt

Established Member
What do you guys use to support the engine? An engine lift? I don't think mine will go high enough with the car up on jackstands...

99ShinodaCobra

Established Member
I used a floor jack with a 2x12 on top under the oil pan, works perfectly fine....
BTW, there's no need to raise the back of the car.... I raised the front, supported with jack stands and had plenty of clearance...

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
yeah i did the same. I used a floor jack with wood to support the engine up while i dropped the K-member.

Another method is putting a strong metal bar across the strut towers, and attatching a hook in the middle, then hook the top of the engine...that is another way to keep the engine up while u drop the k. But I liked the simple floor jack better.

Yeah i used the same write up when i installed mine.

EDIT:
-- For what its worth, i drove the car up on wood in the back, then lifted the front of the car, this way the entire car was off the ground about 6"-8" to start + the front being jacked up more on jack stands. Gave me a LOT of room to work under there.

I did the install by myself, in 2 days. 12 hours each day :) Enjoy lol. goes faster when u have a partner...especially lifting the K-member :cuss:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread