looking 4 cams

svtroush

Established Member
hey guys i need some help i am looking 2 get cams 4 my 99 cobra roush. i talk 2 people and been looking on the net. what is a good set of cams 4 my car its supercharged and has nos. i am looking 4 that cammed out sound 2. u now what i am talking about. any info let me no

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
you wont get the camming/lope sound out of a DOHC 4v...sorry to break it to ya. You may hear some lope but not much

Check out Comps blower cams ...and don't bother with SHM

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
on a side note, i had to read every sentence twice in the original post to figure out if the "2" meant the number 2 or the word "to." :-D

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
on a side note, i had to read every sentence twice in the original post to figure out if the "2" meant the number 2 or the word "to." :-D

Ya know, I heard an interview w/ an English prof. on NPR a couple of months back where they were talking about this is the kind of thing that's resulting from our cultures fascination w/ text messages, e-mailing, Palm Pilots, Crackberries, etc. The English prof said that he'd even had a few research papers turned in w/ this kind of sentence structure.

Not tryin' to crack on the op, I just thought it was kind of interesting. [/ serious thought]

I would say the FRPP FR500 cams might be something worth looking into, but like mentioned above, you'll be hard pressed to get "lope" out of a 4.6 engine.

svtroush

Established Member
can u tell me this then i heard a lot of 03/04 cobra with a serious camming sound they where sick as hell. ya sorry about that i do text alot on my blackberry

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the saleen is a 2 valve.

A cam that lopes hard probably won't be the best cam for power.

With enough duration, you can get the car to lope hard, but you may lose power.

Id probably ask Duane V or NA SVT, they are more knowledgeable about the current cam choices.

I run a set of age old Houston performance regrinds (~.474L, 240 D, 114 cl)

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
the saleen is a 2 valve.

A cam that lopes hard probably won't be the best cam for power.

With enough duration, you can get the car to lope hard, but you may lose power.

Id probably ask Duane V or NA SVT, they are more knowledgeable about the current cam choices.

I run a set of age old Houston performance regrinds (~.474L, 240 D, 114 cl)

these cars are 4valve per cylinder dohc engined and its almost impossible to get that slow lope sound your looking for, plus a cam job is gonna cost north of 2000$ and not get you more than 20hp, i would love to do it but imo its not worth it.

there are lots of lightnings out there or 2v gt's that can get the lope sound but a 4v is tough to do and you need 4 cams...

svtroush

Established Member
ya i no my car is i 4v i no its costs alot but the whole engine is getten done i really dont care about the hp gains i just want that cam sound. so if any one can point me in the right way. quad thanks for trying to help me.

REX-RACER

Established Member
ya i no my car is i 4v i no its costs alot but the whole engine is getten done i really dont care about the hp gains i just want that cam sound. so if any one can point me in the right way. quad thanks for trying to help me.

I heard something like that on a 04 Cobra VT engines 324 bb/stroker but I dunno what cams they used. You may wan to contact VT Engines and see what they can tell you.

Quadcammer

Established Member
While i understand the appeal of the "cammed" sound, you picked the wrong car to get it.

I can't understand why you would rather have a moderate lope (as good as its gonna get on a 4v) or a very mild lope and more power.

Further, to get that lope, the cams will have to be more extreme, which causes driveability issues.

Overall, I don't think its a smart tradeoff.

REX-RACER

Established Member

Yep, that's the one, thanx quad! I'm w/ you on the driveability thing though, I've heard some pretty mixed reviews on the 324 bb/stoker.

Here's another vid of a Saleen w/ a pretty good lope but I don't know anything about this one either, not even sure if it's a 2v or 4v:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWx-XeaNMaY

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
hey guys i need some help i am looking 2 get cams 4 my 99 cobra roush. i talk 2 people and been looking on the net. what is a good set of cams 4 my car its supercharged and has nos. i am looking 4 that cammed out sound 2. u now what i am talking about. any info let me no

The "cammed" sound is a result of the amount of overlap (the time that the intake and exhaust are open at the same time). Overlap is one of the first parameters spec'd when cams afre spec'd for a motor. The amount of overlap needed for optimal performance is determined by the cubic inch to valve diameter ratio. The more valve there is the less overlap that is needed. Conversely, less valve requires more overlap.

So, a 4.6 4v has only 281 cubic inches and two intake valves per cylinder with a combined diameter of 2.91338 inches ( 2 valves x 1.445669"). Each cylinder has 35.125 cubic inches. The result is a ratio of 35.1/2.91 or 12.06. Compare this to a 350 Chevy that has a single cylinder volume of 43.75 and a vavle diameter of 2.02"; 43.75/2.02 or 21.6. Note that the much smaller 4.6 has a valve area that is almost 1" greater than a motor that is 70 cubic inches larger.

This is why our 4v motors run well, very well, without the lumpety-lump idle that is normal in cammed 2v motors. If you do have cams that give you that type of idle, they are going to put the usable power at an rpm that a stock short block can't operate.

With that, I have heard 4v motors with mild cams lope some at idle. This is more of a function of the tune rather than the camshaft specs. For example, Some motors with FR500 cams lope, others do not despite the fact that they are installed at the same 109 lobe centers.

Do you want the car to be quick/fast or sound like it is?

Last edited:

svtroush

Established Member
ok my car when all said and done is going 2 be around 700 rwhp without cams. i just want to no what would be a good cam with a loud cam sound. so if 20 to 40 hp is what i would get out of the cam i dont care. i just want the sound of a insane cam...... is it comp cam what kind or other cams i dont no thats why i am asking. :beer:

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
ok my car when all said and done is going 2 be around 700 rwhp without cams. i just want to no what would be a good cam with a loud cam sound. so if 20 to 40 hp is what i would get out of the cam i dont care. i just want the sound of a insane cam...... is it comp cam what kind or other cams i dont no thats why i am asking. :beer:

just... im drunk, no.

get a recorder and record a BB with a lopey cam and put it on a cd, then put it in the car and enjoy.

Quadcammer

Established Member
just... im drunk, no.

get a recorder and record a BB with a lopey cam and put it on a cd, then put it in the car and enjoy.

stealing my idea....not cool

ok my car when all said and done is going 2 be around 700 rwhp without cams. i just want to no what would be a good cam with a loud cam sound. so if 20 to 40 hp is what i would get out of the cam i dont care. i just want the sound of a insane cam...... is it comp cam what kind or other cams i dont no thats why i am asking.

Making 700rwhp is not exactly easy as is. Why would you want the cams working against you. Also with a lot of overlap you will be pushing boost right out the exhaust.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

One very important issue that I didn't mention was that cams spec'd for Forced induction have wider lobe centers (less overlap). This is done because the blower overcomes the poor bore/valve ratio and it also prevents the pressurized a/f mixture from exiting out the open exhaust valve. So, if you put cams with a lot of overlap into a forced induction motor you'll blow unburned fuel out the exhaust valve and kill power. Example; I bought a set of FR500 cams that were taken out of a supercharged motor. The FR cams were replaced with the smallest Comp blower grinds and the car picked up over 40rwhp (peak) and the power was up across the entire rpm range.

If you want the "cammed" sound you will need to look for cams with a lot of duration and narrow lobe centers. Something with duration in the range of [email protected] and lobe centers around 112-110. Remember though, you are going to place your peak power at a level that your motor cannot reach and your power will be down across the board.

Comp 106500s, and 106460 will give you lope if you really want it, or better yet, buy a 2V.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread