looking at 06 f250 king ranch

svtmassa

Established Member
Hey guys,
I have the cars listed in my signature and unfortunately one of them must go due to having another child on the way. I am in need of a diesel now as my business is taking off and towing oil barrels really stresses the 07 f150 5.4 I had.

L ink to truck
http://cenla.craigslist.org/cto/3986257970.html

I am looking at a 2006 F250 King Ranch Fx4 138K MILES $19000
I am fairly knowledgable about these engines and would do the following when I get one
:
blue spring mod
HPOP update sct fitting
install coolant filter
change screen on oil cooler

maybe
head studs
egr delete and tune

question is 138k miles too much? I want to keep the vehicle at least 5 years and add another 100-150k miles. will it last? or should i spend more and get one with slightly less miles

I know maintenance is key on these

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
if possible, I would try to see what shape the oil cooler is in prior to actually purchasing it with an Insight or something similar, unless you don't care since you are going to replace the screen on the oil cooler....if you dig that far into it, I'd just replace the oil cooler as well.

I don't think 138k is too bad, depending on the previous life the truck has had.

harricanfloyd

Established Member
$19 for a truck with 138k seems like alot to me....especially if you plan on rackin up another 100k. However, I don't know the market for pick-ups. I guess if it were dealer maintained and certified, I'd buy it. Get some type of warranty. My company v10 SD450 has 187k on it with frequent NON synthetic oil changes and it runs great.... but the road there has been little bumpy....when she breaks, she BREAKS!! Good Luck

machonemike

Established Member
I got my 06 with 121k for $16000 at a dealer, you ought to be able to talk them down a bit. And with the 6.0 it's a matter of when you need the headstuds, no putting it off too long. Unless you're ready to throw another $5k in it to get most of the quirks worked out, I'd find a better deal. I've had 2 6.0's, the first one I didn't want to put the money into. I sold it and got the 06, she's a keeper though so I spent the $$$... But other than that I love it!

Dieselguy57

Might not be a bad truck but I would recommend if you are going to do the digging to replace the oil cooler screen you should just replace the oil cooler while your there. The oil cooler failures are due to restriction in the passages causing to much differential between the ECT and EOT and usually result in egr cooler melt down. When your that far its only money in parts, your right there and that all can be done in vehicle. Head studs aren't a bad idea especially if you want to add a tune. You are already aware of the importance of maintenance so if you stay on top of that and run the powerstroke cetane booster you shouldn't troubles getting another 100k-150k out of that truck. By 06 quite a few issues had been corrected in the 6.0 and we seem to have a lot fewer issues with the later models and the guys that have 6.0's that run well usually love them.

9secWS6

Established Member
I have two and love them. Like mentioned earlier maintenance is key! My'04 has 200k miles on it and has lived a HARD life!(big tunes and a lot of nitrous) still runs great. My '06 has 348k miles and is stock with a tune/exhaust. Ive replaced the injectors, did EGR cooler delete and that's it. It tows daily and runs great. I do run the ford fuel additive, change oil every 5k miles(at the most) and run RevX oil treatment. BTW I have stock head bolts in both(I know...)!
If the truck is nice that's about the going price around here for one.

Users who are viewing this thread