Looking at 2003 lightning 60k miles. Some questions

jeffl9682

Established Member
Ive been a member on this forum for a long time. Ive been driving a 2004 mustang gt and im getting very sick of it. lol. Ive been searching for a lightning for a while and ive finally found one that caught my eye. Its a 2003 black with 60k miles. All stock. Its at a local dealership near me. They said it was a trade in.
I dont know to much about lightnings, ive been a mechanic for 8 years so i def know my way around a car. I just dont know what specific things to look for when it comes to lightnings. My only concerns are the stock ford automatic transmissions and front end ie: ball joints etc. ANy info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

jeff

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
First thing I did was try to get an OASIS report to give me an idea of Ford's service history on the truck. There was also a recall for the cruise control wiring harness so you might want to make sure that's been done. Other than that, they're pretty hearty trucks.

NSSVT

Established Member
second that! good truck ive had no issues at all with mine in the 3 years ive owned it. just brakes and a windshield

shadow 03

Knucklebuster
Established Member
As long as its not an 01-02 you wont have problems with the stock tranny. I have put many miles on my L and havent stopped smiling yet. Get it, drive it, love it.

MJG

Established Member
Only some ofthe earlier model had some tranny issues. My 01 is perfectly fine transmission wise.
If you are looking at an 03, you will most likely have the 8 threaded heads, yet some of the 03s did have the dreaded 4 threads slipped in here and there.
It may look stock, but doesnt mean it is. Check the blower pulley, if it is approx 2.93 and just plain black, its stock.
Check for an aftermarket MAF extender, signs of being pullied.
Check the crank pulley, stock was caged, most aftermarket are not and can typically be spotted easily as they are billet/hubbed with a ring.

Read the FAQs pageand search often and you will figure out more as you go.
Get some photos of the thing as well, again, they may say it's 'stock' but doesnt mean it is, they are harder to find stock than already molested.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread